Thread ATS about "rampant gradeflation"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Feb 15, 2015.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Cheerleading. Good enough, will do.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think this thread has been great and not one for cheerleading. I learned and am learning alot from BOTH sides, even those whom I disagree with. Thanks to all. Really !! :D

Geez, that's a little hard. You want to say they have systematically misgraded, I can live with that. But you are implying they are off by 3 grades or more on each coin.

Wouldn't the ANA call the TPGs on this if they were fraudulent ?

And I think Lehigh actually posted the actual standards employed by PCGS.

Even though Lehigh and PCGS and the ANA Standards say that the 'wear' in question is not circulation wear ???

Sure, but I think you have to at least acknowledge that MorganDude and Lehigh have made the case for the present grading standards. You can DISAGREE with those standards but you can't say that they are blatantly NOT following them.

Can you state that there are egregious misses like that Franklin Half thread over at PCGS ? Damn right you can. And let's find more, on Morgans and Saints.

And maybe we can ascertain the 'tight' and 'loose' standards for the TPGs in the past. We can't seem to agree when those periods were, though now it appears the early-2000's were one possibility and the post-Bubble period another (but some think it was pre-Bubble, too).

4. GoldFinger1969

"But Apollo, you just said there 'aint gonna be a rematch" -- Rocky Balboa, 7 minute mark of "Rocky II" :D

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

"What's this, propaganda?"
    - Mae West, My Little Chickadee (1950)

6. GoldFinger1969

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You can do that, but if you do, the grader has to decide if it will get the upgrade before it's removed from the holder. It's slightly harder to grade coins behind plastic than in hand, so that's a little gamble. They may also get to see the grade on the holder first, which would likely create some small bias to not upgrade.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

That's what makes all the talk about how there is this 'game' more suprising.

If you remove the coins, unless you are a good grader and convinced you are GROSSLY undergraded, you're taking a risk. Gambling on a "+" or minor upgrade is tough to predict.

OTOH...if you submit in the same company's holders, you're basically saying "Hey, you guys screwed up and are incompetent, grade this sucker again." :D Not the case I guess if you submit another TPG's holder.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted