Thread ATS about "rampant gradeflation"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Are you planning to start another semantics war similar to that about the die polish/die condition lines? I use the term roll/cabinet friction to describe any high point friction on uncirculated coins. The fact that this friction occurred in sealed bags as opposed to actual paper rolls is immaterial to the discussion.

We have had the argument about the validity and truth of PCGS statement in the past. I even went so far as to inquire with some collectors who specialize in Saints on the PCGS forum if the statement is true. They all said that it was true. The reason it gets very little support on this forum is because there are so few people on this forum who actually collect Saints.

But for those who do collect Saints on this forum, they also agreed with the PCGS statement. Here are some quotes from the other thread.

If forced to choose whom to believe, I will choose PCGS, Saintguru (et al CU forum), Leadfoot, and Kirkuleez over you.

green18 and Morgandude11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I don't think coin collecting has to only cater to the OCD personality, the obsessive or rigidly strict. It can be enjoyed by anyone in any way they wish. When I was a kid, coins were about trading with my grandpa, and chatting with the dealer down the road, and getting a new Redbook, and buying my annual ASE for $7.50. I miss those days. Pretty sure we all do.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lehigh, that proposition, "wear is wear," is how collectors graded coins from the beginning of time. Ask Doug, he was here back then (lol). There's where you don't seem to understand. You seem to think I'm making this up or imposing my standards on a hobby that's been reluctant to accept them. Not so. Enter market grading. That's where the cornerstone of this "hobby" dropped out. State of preservation is at the cornerstone in every single grading system including numismatics until the ANA went off on a frolic of its own with this market grading monkey business. What was the consequence? It was that now in coin clubs all across the country instead of evaluating a coin on its state of preservation we're sitting there looking across the room at one another arguing whether and to what degree it's eye appealing or deserves a star or a plus or a sticker and if so a green one or a gold one. That's what we're good at, now. Oh, and whether it's AT, NT, QT, let's not forget that. A monkey can grade coins that way. If not, an orangutan, I'm sure one of those can.

5. Lehigh96

Stars, plusses, stickers and toning have nothing to do with this conversation. The fact is that everyone but you and a handful of other old timers has realized the error in the long established grading standard that "wear is wear". They have realized the error, allowed an exception to your precious rule, thereby improving the overall grading system. Call it progress, advancement, wisdom, or learning, the numismatic community's break up with the "wear is wear" philosophy is logical and was inevitable.

On a tangential subject, do you own a smart phone?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I did that's why she went down the road

eddiespin likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Call it whatever you want that may keep you in your comfort zone but the reality is the coin is in an inferior state of preservation for it and to overlook that reality is to play head games with the condition of the coin.

Look, maybe you and the Morgandudester misunderstand. I'm not trying to hold back these coins with wear from their place in the market. Call the Saint with the AU58 wear AU64 and at least you're giving the unsuspecting public an honest shake of the dice for their money by informing them of the reality there's wear on that coin. You call it MS64, you're deceiving that bunch. You don't know where any wear came from, anyway, let's address and get that out of the way. In addition, to judge the coin's grade as though you do know is antithetical to another fundamental principle of grading, that being to take all your bearings strictly off the face of the coin. Extrinsic evidence isn't how you grade. You grade coins with your eyes, not with your mind's eye. When grades start depending on the credibility of witnesses (i.e., it's cabinet friction because I say so; it's NT because I say so), that's a pretty darn pretentious road to go down for one's money, as it's always open to impeachment.

Look, I'm getting tired of this. Tell me about this tangent of yours. Let's go there, why do you want to know?

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Tin hat on.......

Eddie? We've got to watch some good Buster Keaton movies.......

9. Lehigh96

What you call pretentious, I call an expert opinion. The fact is that coins exist with high point friction that have never been in circulation. Rather than condemn all these coins to AU status, I am willing to trust that expert graders will make a judgement call based on experience and knowledge of the series. Have you ever seen a Roosevelt dime with high point friction in an MS holder? The standard that the TPGs employ is one that requires field impairment on series that are plagued by high point friction. Undoubtedly, this will result in a small number of actual AU coins that get graded MS. I am willing to accept this if it means that a larger number of coins are accurately graded.

Don't think that I don't understand your point as it relates to this issue. The fact that they can't be certain about source of the friction will lead to inconsistency and mistakes. For example, NGC graded this coin both AU58 and MS62 within a 3 month period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do we know for certain that the friction on the leg is from circulation wear? No, do we know for certain that it is related to roll friction? Of course not. But when you see a coin from a series that is known for high point friction and there are no other signs of circulation wear, the logical conclusion is to assume that the coin is uncirculated and assign the grade accordingly.

Regarding my tangential question, I find that most of my older friends (of which I have many) who are rigid in their thinking also tend resist advances in modern technology. Most of my friends in their 60's & 70's won't even consider getting a smart phone, and those that do have one have no idea how to use it.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That's a damn good point.

2-for-2 !!

Good points...so they consider that gold and/or higher-content gold coins are softer than other metals and that the same amount of wear or rub should not count as much on gold as say on a harder metal, right ?

You wonder if they used the terms 'uncirculated' 50+ years ago with the expectation that circulated coins would show definite signs of wear-and-rub and that uncirculated coins would be pristine, instead of the overlap we sometimes see today (and are arguing about here).

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Regarding your tangential question, you got me on that one. Luddite, here, and that's just the way I am, and there's nothing anybody can do about it. I actually have a black rotary-dial phone in my home, it's the truth. So, stereotype away. But, don't forget, I can go soft-headed on you like that, too. I can stereotype you, too. You're buried in these toners and have no choice but to play ball. I shan't, however, out of respect for the issue.

On that, the issue, all precious medals are inclined to wear by reason of improper storage, not just gold. I'm Italian and I have blue eyes and most Italians are inclined to have brown eyes but that doesn't mean my blue eyes are brown. I don't care what these Saints are inclined to do, wear is wear. You want to deny that to advance your market imperatives, you're playing head games.

Bottom-line, that's your prerogative. You want to collect by third and fourth-party opinions, that's your business. I collect coins. You want to look at a coin that has wear and collect an opinion on whether you have permission to call that wear cabinet friction, that's your business. You want to look at a coin that has toning and collect an opinion on whether you have permission to call that toning NT, AT, or QT, that's your business. You want to look at a coin that's cleaned and collect an opinion on whether you have permission to call that cleaning conservation, that's your business. It's not my business. I don't collect permissions. I grade coins by my eyes, not third and fourth-party's eyes.

In this day and age of ready-made grades, I wholeheartedly concede, that makes me an odd old bone. We'll let that go at, there are two types of collectors, the type that fights the idea of being pushed into and consumed by the marketing, and the other type.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nope, all I'm suggesting is that people use their heads and think. And maybe, check out a little bit of history.

Paper coin rolls are one example. Close as I've ever been to find out they not invented until the late 1800's, and it was many years before they saw much use, let alone widespread use. That began in the 1930's. Of course gold was pulled from circulation in '33. So I doubt very many gold coins were ever in a paper roll.

So what else happened to gold coins ? Well these machines, one was invented in 1889, the other 1890. I'm just using them as examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second obviously was not used to dispense gold coins. But they were used in stores, banks, and various businesses. The first one however was specifically designed to dispense both small change, dollars, and gold. Here is a quote taken from the history of the company -

"The object of the machine was to make a given payment of change or gold by the depression of a single key, thus eliminating the work of selecting the coins necessary to make the payment."

Now even if these banks or businesses didn't have one of these machines you can bet that they had something that looked like this. And no, I can't find any pictures of actual vintage examples, but they were quite common. Just about everybody had one, and yes they had slots for all US coin denominations just as the machines did.

[​IMG]

The point I am getting to here is that gold coins didn't just sit in bags in the bank's vaults, they were used. No they didn't see as much circulation as the minor coins, but they were used. But more than that they were made "available" for use for customers who wanted gold as opposed to paper. So a lot of the coins were in those machines or trays, just in case. But many of them probably never actually were distributed to customers.

So, yes these coins were in the banks hands, and they may not have ever been given out. But if a coin was in one of those machines or trays - would you say that coin was "in circulation" ? I sure would. And they no doubt received a high point wear from being there. Also from being counted at the end of every day.

It is from examples like this that a lot of gold coins, maybe a whole lot more than some think, got that high point wear that you speak of so often. They didn't get it from being in rolls because they were never in rolls. They didn't get it from being in bags because once those actually in bags were delivered to the banks and left in the bags, those bags just sat still, in the vault. Just like the Morgan dollars that just sat still in the govt. vaults for decades. They weren't moved around and counted every day, they just sat there.

Do a whole lot of Saints have high point wear ? Yes, I absolutely agree they do. Do they all ? No, they do not. But we'll negate that argument as that's about all it is and it will never be settled short of a trip to a coin show with disagreeing parties to actually settle it.

But that argument doesn't make any of the above go away. And any high point wear that any of those coins has, a lot of it came from sources like the examples I've presented - a lot of it. And since there are examples like that, it becomes harder and harder to make a claim that high point wear on Saints all came from the coins being stored in bags. And since there is no way that high point wear received in bags can be differentiated from high point wear received while the coins were in those machines or trays, then it becomes pretty much impossible in my mind to claim that any coin with it, only came from a bag of uncirculated coins.

And let's not forget about all those gold coins that were distributed to customers, were actually put into circulation, and then received high point wear. They count too, and there is no way to tell them from any of the others either.

The end result, collectors want their Saints to be graded MS. They don't want them to be graded AU, so that is exactly what the TPGs give them. And they come up with a convenient, though extremely improbable, excuse to do so.

13. Lehigh96

Just because someone has adapted to and accepted the market grading principles employed by the TPGs, it does not mean that they are less of a coin collector than you are. Furthermore, I have no idea what you are talking about with respect to your other comments. Advancing my market imperatives? What is that supposed to mean? I don't even collect Saints, but anyone who employs any logic can see that a coin plucked directly from a sealed mint bag should not be graded AU.

Regarding toners, and being buried, I would like an explanation. Are you insinuating that I foolishly spent and lost a lot of money buying toned coins?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. Lehigh96

The coins that circulated through the US Banks were for the most part, turned into the government and melted. The overwhelming majority of mint state Saint Gaudens Double Eagles that exist today came from sealed mint bags that survived in foreign banks.

15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

This thread made me think of the Wells Fargo Hoard, 19,900 NM 1908 SAints brought back from Europe to the US in the 1990's. According to Gillio, the coins were a payment made in 1917, and the coins sat in the vault in the original bags until the 1960's, when the coins were removed from the rotting bags and put into new canvas ones. Until the bags were opened for Gillio, that was the ONLY time the coins were moved since 1917. Eventually, about 7000 of the coins graded 66 or higher (up to 69) by 1990's standards. There were many thousand 65 gems.
    Looking at the auction records for 1908 MS saints, at Heritage, ogling a number of the WF hoard coins, I just don't see high point friction. I just don't. I did not look at every one (there are thousands). Now suppose those coins had been removed and stacked and counted every few years, or put in cashier's drawers and then back in the bag for storage, or just held and thumb rubbed by a teller who thought they were pretty? That behavior, otherwise known as handling, will lead to high point friction, and as far as I am concerned that makes for an AU coin, period. I don't think certain series should be given a "by" in the grading room just because they are "friction prone." (should we call them "differently abled coins?")
    Graders are humans and subject to variation in their behavior. They are also not immune to markets, perceptions of demand, etc, and with the tendency of TPG's to "value grade" coins it does not surprise me that there is a general slackening of standards. Recently I was sent an attractive seated coin on approval, it was in a new pcgs holder graded au 58. I was surprised that no more than about 30% of the mint luster was present, and yet the devices showed no discernible wear. The only conclusion I could come to was that the fields had been polished for some reason. My point is that as collectors it very important for us to study the coins before we buy them and not to rely on the the slab grade, or even the tpg's opinion that the coin has not been "improved upon." Discerning collectors are the best protection the hobby has against overgrading/overpricing. Take a look at auction results sometime, I'm sure there will be a coin or 2 that will make you say "boy, that went cheap" or "wow, that sold for over twice what I would expect." Most of the time these unexpected prices realized are because someone knew that the coin had a hidden problem, or that it was really choice for the assigned grade.
    Studying those can be educational. (of course sometimes it's just 'buyer error' but I think those cases are in the minority.)

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lehigh, I'm not insinuating anything. I'm saying I could, were I wanting to stereotype, as you did from the fact I don't have an iPhone.

As to your top paragraph, when you're advocating these spurious market grading standards, you're advancing market imperatives.

Here's where you can be persuasive. What are you comparing these Saints to? How do you know for a fact that isn't how they were when they were struck? Don't make me sorry for asking that by telling me you're relying on the testimony of "experts."

17. Lehigh96

The first 3 coins I looked at from the Wells Fargo Hoard all had high point friction. Eg.

[​IMG]

As I have stated before, many of the mint state Saints that exist today, came from foreign banks just like the Wells Fargo hoard. When coins are handled by human hands they will show disturbance in the fields as well as the high points. To hypothesize that all of the MS Saints in existence were handled by bank cashiers and then returned to their bags is simply not consistent with reality.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But don't you see you're going off the coin to say that? Stick to the coin. What does the coin reveal? That's all. There's nothing else.

BTW, excellent coin.

19. Lehigh96

Stop beating around the bush. If you have something to say, say it. I deduced that you don't have a cellphone because your philosophy with regards to coin grading is rigid & antiquated. Given your personality and age, it was logical to assume that you would also resist progress in other areas of life, including technological advances. You call it stereotyping, but that is just a meager attempt to prey upon the political correctness of others who don't want to be guilty of "stereotyping" as if it was more evil than the most heinous crime. What you should do is try to understand why I was able to deduce that you don't have a cellphone and what it says about you!

The only one who thinks that market grading standards are spurious is you. That is the whole point of this conversation. The grading process has evolved from the black and white rendition that you love so much. Instead of adapting to the new and improved standards, you just cry about them incessantly. And it is tiresome, so very tiresome.

As for the Saints, I don't understand your question. They certainly were not struck with high point friction. The friction is the result of coin to coin contact within the bags. I have only ever owned one Saint in my life. And believe it or not, it was an MS63 with rainbow toning. This coin had high point friction on both the breast and knee. The TPGs deemed that the coin was mint state because there were no traces of wear in the fields of the coin. That is their standard, and the standard that has been accepted by the rest of the numismatic community, whether you like it or not.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If you foolishly spend a lot of money buying toned coins, then I am part of that club. If you are crazy, I guess I must plead guilty as charged as well. Basically, one can accuse TPGs of any malfeasance they want, and it is the "Voice of one crying in the wilderness." I do understand that there are some irregularities and inconsistencies grading coins by third parties. After all, it isn't totally scientific--it is not as like the acceleration due to gravity of a falling object is 32 feet per second squared, and is quantitatively measured. That is set in stone.

A certain element of subjectivity is built into grading, despite the Sheldon Scale, and rubrics for grading such as Photograde by PCGS. However, I will still maintain that TPGSs get it RIGHT a vast majority of the time, and make occasional mistakes. The average collector (not necessarily the expert collector, but the average coin buyer) will get it right much less than the very experienced third party. It is their business to be correct, and for the most part, I cast my lot with them. HOWEVER, and this the caveat--NOBODY should buy a coin that they don't like, and suspect is not accurately graded--with or without the Sheldon Scale or PCGS, it would be sheer foolishness to do so.

21. Lehigh96

The coin has high point friction on the knee and it spent its entire existence in a bank bag. That is not an AU coin! Under your system of grading, these two coins would bear the same grade:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You might not have a problem with both of these coin being graded AU58, but pretty much everyone else does. Your system of "wear is wear" takes the entire range of mint state quality Saints and relegates them to one single grade, AU58, even though the disparity in quality is plainly evident for everyone to see!

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted