Thoughts on value trends in US coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Sep 22, 2021.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Yes, GD, we've talked about this before and I have taken note that after being bullish on the world coin sector -- and bearish on U.S. for years -- you recently gave this website a well-timed reversal on both.

You didn't say if that was based on time (18-year bull market bound to end and multi-year U.S. bear market ditto) or if it was based on valuations for each....or a combination of both.

But like a long-time bull on stocks going bearish or a long-time bear turning bullish, I noticed. :D Good calls !

Let me ask you....

(1) Are you looking for a CORRECTION in world coins...or a multi-year bear market accompanied by big declines, similar to what U.S. Coins just came out of ?

(2) Conversely, are you looking for the start of a bull market in U.S. coins (or even an end to the decline, and just bouncing along the bottom price-wise)... or just a "dead-cat" bounce ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Pre-1948 Chinese coins are increasing by almost 100% a year right now. Certain dynasties are super popular because of popular TV dramas set in those dynasties. As the majority of collectors get priced out of those Dynasties, they move to the next one and push the prices up, and so on and so forth. I have invested heavily in one dynasty that is probably next to explode in popularity

4. GoldFinger1969

What are these TV dramas -- American shows or Chinese/Asian ones ?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think it'll be a significant correction that last for a while.

In pretty much any market a dead cat bounce is fairly short lived kind of like what we saw in 2018. What we are seeing now has been a steep increase for over a year and half - that's not a dead cat bounce. And yes, I believe the up trend will continue. I expect things will level out, drop a little bit, and then continue moving upwards again as that is typical of markets that reverse course.

Over time the average bull market in US coins has lasted 3-5 years, bear markets 5-8 years, with the lower end being more common for both. So I expect that's what we'll see again.

While the coin market is similar in many ways to other markets, it is however more susceptible to and driven by emotion and popularity more than it is by technical aspects which drive most other markets. This has been shown to be true time and time again because there simply aren't any technical aspects to the coin market.

If one wishes to see technical aspects at work then watch the bullion market because that's where you'll see them.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

No, but that matches up perfectly with Covid-19.....so unless you think that it "awakened" a whole new group of buyers to U.S. coins, it's interesting that you give an 18 month look-back for the move.
    That's interesting because in financial markets (stocks), bull markets last much longer than bear markets because bear markets -- feeding on FEAR which is stronger than GREED -- can do their damage in a shorter period of time. Just think back to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and a 34% drop in stock prices in 1 month. A 34% up-move would take 6-9 months normally, if not longer.
    I totally agree.
    Agreed.....

Marsden likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

I'm not picking and choosing times, I'm merely point out what the historical charts show. And the charts show that the turn around started in Jan. 2020 - before covid was a story at all really. Could covid have helped push things along ? Yeah, maybe, but I'm not convinced that it did, or didn't. It's just a maybe. A question that all any of us can ever do is speculate about.

In all honesty I think it was just a move that started, people saw it, were excited about it, and it gained momentum, just like all changes in markets happen. That's how the driving forces, whatever they are, behind any and all markets work. Simply put, it's what history shows us and tells us. I merely observe it, I don't create it.

8. GoldFinger1969

Let's delve a bit deeper....in the U.S. coin series that got really shellacked from 2010 to 2020 like Barbers and Franklins (among others).....has there been increased activity or higher prices or dealers saying stuff like "Hey, I haven't seen this much interest in American coins in years/decades " ?

Anybody ?

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

All this investment/market-speak makes my head explode.

Oh, well, at least I got to add "dead cat bounce" to my vocabulary, after Googling.

Yes, of course there is a Wikipedia page.

Ahh, Wikipedia, half the time, I'd be lost without ye.

10. GoldFinger1969

Let me be clear: I could care less about the "investment" performance of my coins. I bought them for enjoyment and if they make or lose money when I sell them down the line or when my estate is settled, I could care less. :D

That said, many people entering the field are doing so for investment reasons so I think it is incumbent upon us to (1) gauge the investment potential in terms of bullion prices and/or numismatic cycles, and (2) remind people that historically since 1980 coins in general have been a lousy investment.

KeyHunter, Razz and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Good point.

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am still not clear. You could care less means you care. Do you mean you could NOT care less, meaning you don't care at all? :)

I know picky and this should be in the pet peeve thread. The saying is could not care less. Peace.

GoldFinger1969 and masterswimmer like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Yes, it's funny how commonly people get that one wrong, and say the exact opposite of what they meant. But it's become so common that the wrong way has fallen into normal usage by default.

Congratulations, you and I are now officially the only two people on the planet who might notice that, much less care. :p

Razz and masterswimmer like this.
  14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Oh no no. Definitely not the only two. It's a pet peeve of mine too. ;)

longshot, KBBPLL and Razz like this.
  15. GDJMSP

Your question has already been answered simply by looking at the graphs. The electronic dealer market is and always has been what determines what prices are at any given moment.

16. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

17. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

A lot of people like us will run out and grab anything they can (or can't) afford, figuring the market still has a bit of helium in it yet, or accumulate stacks of silver bars, and find themselves stuck with it, when the folks with all the fat bank accounts have sold off and decide to not support the market (buy) any longer.
    In certain other collectible venues besides coins, people who've bought high are already seeing how it's not as easy as they thought it would be to sell higher.

18. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I don't see it mentioned here, and it probably relates to other things, but Jan 2020 is about when CD/savings rates started going into the toilet. There is no place to securely put your money (I'm talking FDIC insured) and earn more than about 0.50%. You might as well spend it on coins. Personal experience only - I'm no financial wiz.

KeyHunter, Marsden and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've been trying to win some Early Commemoratives on GC and am getting blown out of the water.
    Not just higher than Greysheet but also higher than CW and PCGS.
    Because of that I'm not buying them.
    I've got my EAC coins to keep me busy.
    I'll wait until the Early Commemoratives seem to settle down.

longshot and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  20. GoldFinger1969

Trust me, CD rates have SUCKED for 10 years now. :D

Marsden likes this.
  21. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm very familiar. Our nestegg expired in 2012 and was earning 5.25%. The best we could do then was 1%. Things bounced back up in late 2018 and we locked in some stuff at 3.2-3.4% but it slowly dropped off the cliff after that. Back in early 2020 you could still get a 1 yr CD over 2% but the highest rates were all the shortest terms, which is totally upside-down from the traditional scenario.

Marsden and GoldFinger1969 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted