Thoughts on this toned $2 1/2 gold indian?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, May 6, 2015.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I just got this in today's mail.. maybe one of my favorite ebay purchases as of late! The toning is VERY hard for me to capture in the pictures, but it is NICE! Hints of purples and blues. I do not send many coins in to grade, but probably will send this one. The luster is also amazing, probably as good as the MS63 ones I have. What do you think it could grade, and what do you think of the toning? Also, what is the best way to get professional pictures? NGC? Someone here?

Ebay pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My pics..

ebay 120.JPG ebay 106.JPG ebay 115.JPG ebay 117.JPG

To show color compared to a normal one..

ebay 123.JPG

gbroke likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I like your coin....wow.
    I have never seen such a toning in this series. Seems to be a choice unc. plus coin....maybe a MS 64.
    The coin shows an exquisit strike, too.
    In every case worth to be graded by a TPG.
    Good luck;-)

jwitten likes this.
  4. jwitten

I am hoping for at least a 62, but maybe a bump or a + for the toning. I wish I could capture the true look of it, I have been collecting these for a long time and haven't seen another even close.

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Very nice. Toning is not easy to come by on gold.

jwitten likes this.
  6. DKenny

DKenny Member

I'm wondering if this is altered, messed with, or counterfeit. Gold doesn't usually tone this much and there a lot of altered, messed with and counterfeit coins in this series. This is definitely too good to be true.

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Looks cool but......

To be honest when you see something that drastic, and you, me, maybe nobody else has ever seen another example of toning such as this on one, I don't know how you can rule out foul play. a.k.a. ATing. It may be fine and be graded. I don't know. I don't know why it would have done this and millions of others haven't. Maybe I just haven't seen one.

BTW, don't take this the wrong way. I think it looks really cool too. :)

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

It's very pretty.

9. jwitten

The toning matches genuine natural examples I have seen, they are just rare. Here are a few examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I have seen gold grades by ngc with that kind of toning. It is considered market acceptable.

jwitten likes this.
  11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

12. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

If they grade it my guess would be a 62. Very strange color for a gold piece.

13. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I'm no gold expert by any means but I've seen some examples returned with a details grade of "scratches" when I could hardly even see a scratch. I see 3 fairly clear scratches on the reverse and the obverse cheek is pretty dinged up for such a small denomination. I also see several rim dings that might worry my about having been in jewelry in the past. I hope it grades well for you but IMO that ebay pic didn't represent it very well. Again, no expert here and it has nice toning so I'm not sure how it will grade.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The coin is clearly not worthy of being in your set. You need to get rid of it as soon as possible. As my service to you, you can send it to me at....

Anyway, it looks like it spent some time in close proximity to some high sulfur paper.

15. jwitten

On the contrary, since this is such a small coin, those marks are actually TINY, and only visible under high magnification. I have seen far worse scratches and marks get solid grades.

16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

+1 this. You have to remember, this coin is roughly the size of a nickel.

17. DKenny

DKenny Member

Quarter Eagles are the size of a dime and Half Eagles are the size of a nickel.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

... and a nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. ;)

19. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

The toning looks to me like it spent a long time in an old leather coin purse.

20. jwitten

Whats the best option for pictures? I will probably grade with NGC. Them? Someone on this site?

21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Todd @blu62vette
    John @messydesk
    Bob @robec

jwitten likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted