Thoughts on this Liberty Seated dime?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, Feb 13, 2021.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I came across an attractive 1837 dime but I'm curious about the "A" in America on the reverse. Is this a variety or damage? TIA for looking.

1837-no-stars-reverse-cropped.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Appears to be damage the dime looks cleaned or over-dipped also or is it just the appearance of the picture.

LakeEffect likes this.
  4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I agree, looks like damage to me too as there is some disturbed metal around the A also. I can't really tell much about the surfaces otherwise.

LakeEffect likes this.
  5. LakeEffect

Surfaces actually look good, I seem to have washed out the photo by editing it. Most curious about the "A"

6. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Photo is a LITTLE blurry, but I would imagine PMD caused by cleaning would be to blame. If it is an error, I'd put my money on some sort of gunk filling the die (can't remember the tech term sry).

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

^^^Grease filled die

8. LakeEffect

Damage seems a likely explanation but it's curious the denticles and grain are not affected.

9. LakeEffect

Were grease filled dies a thing in 1837? Honest question.

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

A planchet flaw in that spot is not out of the question, either.

LakeEffect likes this.
  11. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Photo is out of focus. But it just doesn't scream PMD to me, more like an as-struck issue. I would really like to see an in-focus close-up of the area around the A, including the M and the right side of the wreath and the dentils.

In addition to the possibility of a grease-filled die, there is also the possibility of a crumbling die, which can start in a localized area and then spread. I think I see some evidence of this at the upper right serif of the M as well as the A. Again, need much sharper photos.

LakeEffect likes this.
  12. LakeEffect

Seller's photo, best I can do.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You have shown us only one side, and the obverse is the more important one. I think that the spot on question is post mint damage, even if it isn’t, it’s a negative.

This is not a rare coin. You find others.

Draft saved Draft deleted