Thoughts on this German Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Steve66, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Hello guys & gals,

Please share your thoughts on the condition of this 1929 Weimar 3 Reichsmark.

I am hoping a acetone bath may clean it up a little.

1929-1.jpg 1929-2.jpg

Spark1951, PaddyB and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am as much a history buff as I am a coin nut. I was stationed in Germany in the 1970's-80's in the Army. Found a little shop that sold me a few WWII era coins. Danged if the Army didn't confiscate them from me when I transitioned back home. Never quite understood that. Almost wish I would have mailed them home before I left. That's a nice piece.

panzerman likes this.
  4. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

That's a really nice 3 Mark! I don't believe that I have one like it... and I love German Coins. Definitely think a little Dip would do it some good, and would be much easier to grade.

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That's interesting. The son of my mom's best friend was stationed in Germany in the late 60s and brought home many German coins. I still have a few of them.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What is the significance and history of the hand symbol on the reverse?

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Scout's Honor???? Sounds good anyway.

8. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I think it's a pledge symbol used when a president is sworn into office.

9. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

This coin is a commemorative of the 10 anniversary of the Weimar Constitution... Whatever that is.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

How can you be interested in coins and money and not know about the hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic!

11. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Does the Weimar constitution have anything to do with the hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic?

Sorry I'm not the scholar you are

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Not a scholar, but the Weimar constitution has to be what set up the Weimar republic. Just like the constitution of any other republic.

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

This coin type is known as the Verfassunsgtreue Gedenkmünze. It was struck to commemorate the 10th anniversary of allegiance to the 1919 Constitution of the Weimar Republic under Reichpräsident Hindenburg.
    It was struck in 3 and 5 Reichsmark denomination.

Steve66 likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

11 August was also Constitution Day (between 1921 and 1932) in Germany, and a legal holiday in several German states. Next year, by the way, we will have a €20 collector coin dedicated to the 100th anniversary of that Weimar Constitution. Maybe with ten hands then ... :D

Christian

Steve66 likes this.
  15. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

In my opinion, commemoratives like this from the Weimar series are rather a rather under-appreciated collecting area. There are some pretty amazing designs, but these coins all tend to be much scarcer than the prices would suggest. Good find.

They have a low silver content so they often tone rather ugly, but nicely preserved ones are definitely worth a premium.

Steve66 likes this.
  16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I have been trying to find Weimar comemmoratives at a decent price for some time. I have a few but they are hard to come by. As you say, they are only 50% silver so good are not as common.

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Most german Weimar-era commemoratives can be found without much problem.
    The 5-mark coins are much scarcer than the 3-marks.

Among the scarcer types are: Zeppelin, Meissen, Rheinland, Bremerhaven and Goethe. The 'A' mint is always the commonest. All the other ones are much scarcer.
    This is specially true for the scarcest of the Commemoratives - the 5-mark Goethe.
    For example F, D, G and J mints.

On the other hand, the circulating currency (Kursmünze) 3-mark coins of this type:
    3 mark 1932 G.jpg

Are really quite scarce (again, Mint 'A' Berlin is the most common, but still a scarce coin). Beware of fakes!

18. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I see very many of these commemoratives that have been cleaned (what a shame)
    Is that common in Germany as well?

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes. Unfortunately many german collectors seem to like bright, shiny coins......sometimes the cleaning is done carefully (dipping really), therefore acceptable. But many others have been ruined beyond repair.

Art Wilkerson likes this.
  20. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I was in Germany from 1974 to 1977 and brought home a cigar box full of US coins purchased from dealer junk bins at 10 coins for a mark. I did not collect foreign coins then but I also brought a cigar box with dug Nazi and other german coins found with my metal detector. Declared to customs and they dumped them out looking for drugs then put them back in the cigar boxes and sent me on my way.
    I'm sorry that you lost your coins. I think they were stolen from you.

Art Wilkerson likes this.
  21. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

Also they tended to be stored in wooden coin cabinets to allow one side to scratch. Also even on the Proof coin sets of the 60’s the green film of acetone reared it’s horrible head. Finding true problem free coins has been tough for a long time. A lot of the great coins made it to the States after the Second World War and many soldiers bring them back. In Bavaria for Ocktober Fest, the men use a lot of Bavarian coins on their Lederhösen. Holes are drilled in them to mount them on the clothes.

Draft saved Draft deleted