Thoughts on this effigy mounds quarter?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jersey magic man, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Pulled this out of circulation. Obverse has die chip and possible lamination (or another die chip) on neck. The area on the right looks like a rectangle around a lamination (like a large die chip is forming). Has anyone seen a die chip of that size on this quarter (later stage coin)? Any comment would be appreciated.

effigy mounds die crack2.jpg.jpg effigy mounds die crack1.jpg.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like machine doubling. wait for more experienced opinions...

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Are we looking at that thing on the bottom edge of Washington's bust that looks like cracked metal?

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Looks like some kind of lamination or similar planchet flaw to me. Almost certainly not worth any kind of premium, but interesting.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

oh I was looking at the O in dollar not the neck. lol

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Is it a small lamination?

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree. It's a lamination

9. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I can see a small lamination in the middle of the “rectangle” ( on the right), but is the whole rectangle a lamination or will it turn into a die chip? Is the smaller aberration to the left also a lamination or is that a die chip?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Everything appears to be part of a lamination. A lamination is caused by a defect or void in the original sheet of metal. Rolling to the specified thickness can thin and stretch these. It looks like a piece of the lamination extended to just above the DO, but it was broken off at some point.

A die chip is due to a defect in the die and not related to laminations. I see no evidence of any die chips. Your good pics make it easy to evaluate

11. Turner2

Turner2 New Member

I have the same coin with slightly different looking damage in the exact same area. It actually looks like extra metal that filled a defect in the die.

Draft saved Draft deleted