Thoughts on this details Trade Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Scott J, May 3, 2021.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Very laudable indeed. But it does it for him at this point. And while it may never get into a fancy home like yours, not a coin like this, what you and a lot of others here are missing is it isn't as though he bought an old heap that's only likely to give him major problems down the road or a brand new car that's only going to depreciate in value the minute he drives it off the lot. This item he bought is an asset that's only going to hold its value, even appreciate in value, over time. The only question is, relative to any buyer's remorse, that is to say, is whether he make a good buy, and it appears he did, as it appears he paid even under fair market value. Therefore, the whole thing's but a wash.

Scott J and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Look at it this way. The coin is genuine. That is a big plus for a Trade Dollar. At $130, how much down side can there be?

In the old days, before slabbing, this is the sort of coin I would have put in one of my "toning envelopes" and let nature take its course. In a few years, it might have become "market acceptable." It has not been polished to a shiny surface, and that is important.

Scott J likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed, you both are correct........My response to OP was not meant to be critical or offensive (though it may have come across as such). My response was intended to enlighten OP (and it wasn't achieved in my post) that perhaps somewhere down the road he may have certain regrets (as mentioned earlier, 'buyers remorse') over purchasing such a coin. I've done so in the past and have truly regretted purchases of this nature. Don't be tempted by the moment......buy the best that you can afford. If that means waiting a few weeks (months?) to obtain a capital purchase, you, in the long run will avoid the disappointment of selling yourself short.

Scott J likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I get your point, but have to agree with green18, it would have been better to save up for a problem-free coin. Nobody wants to bash the coin and as another poster mentioned it wasn‘t cleaned to death. However an ANACS Trade Dollar which didn’t get a straight grade is not exactly an asset that will „appreciate in value“. @Scott J you like the coin and that’s what really matters :)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    green18 and Scott J like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I get you. But the coin may. And as a practical matter, what are we talking about, worst scenario? So he makes out, and he gets to enjoy his first one, at little if any expense. That's not a real bad deal, far as I see.

Beefer518 and Scott J like this.
  7. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

From my observation, details graded Trades have appreciated noticeably over the past year. There are not enough straight graded pieces to meet demand. The OP coin still looks decent which is a big driver of value.

Beefer518, Scott J and eddiespin like this.
  8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I like the coin the cleaning does not seem obtrusive. As J.M. pointed out, for 130 there is only so much downside and it's a nice example of an (imo) underrated series. I guess I have about 50 of them. sort of lost track a while ago.

Beefer518 and Scott J like this.
  9. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

To me this is a "just to have one" coin, which is exactly how I often collect. I figure there's always somebody else looking to just have one too, and if I ever had to sell and lose some money on it, who cares. I got intangible enjoyment dollars out of it. If you enjoy having it, that's the important part.

johnmilton, Beefer518 and Scott J like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted