Thoughts on this 1922 Lincoln Cent - No D?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jester3681, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I'm not as familiar with the type as I'd like. This belongs to a fellow collector who asked me to submit it to NGC - to my untrained eyes and with the online research I've done, I believe this to be a "plain" or "no D" variety with the strong reverse - thoughts?

pat1922nod.jpg

dwhiz, furham, NSP and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Appears to be die pair 2 strong reverse. The expensive one. Note the second 2 is sharper than the first. The L in LIBERTY butts up against the rim. And of course no die weakness on the O in ONE or really anywhere on the reverse.
    Here's mine for comparison:
    1922 No D Lincoln Strong Rev.jpg

Let me share this webpage with you:
    http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html

4. jester3681

Thanks Evan! That's one of the resources that I referred to, but like I said this is outside my comfort zone.

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

No problem. Great coin you got there:)

Also the grading of these is a bit weird anything else would be about G-4 to G-6. Yours is a bit better than mine. I could see it being a solid VG-8.

jester3681 likes this.
  6. jester3681

That's where I put it, VG-08. Thanks for the bode of confidence!

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

These are graded mostly by the reverse. I see F15 details, but with environmental damage if all that black is corrosion and not dirt. Is the color of your picture accurate?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think he has the strong reverse, for certain. These reverses do not come better than that. It's all about having the diagnostics imparted from the known dies, @jester3681. Good luck on that baby when you send it over for attribution.

9. jester3681

The color is a bit off - I'm still fighting my camera settings. The coin presents more brown than maroon.

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

is conservation a consideration or should it be left alone?

Draft saved Draft deleted