Thoughts on this 1880 O VAM 4 Morgan. VAM collectors please look

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinsnake, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Bought this today for a little over melt and apparently it is possibly worth a lot more. I'm not a VAM collector but my research says it's a VAM 4. I'm pretty sure it's DMPL or at least PL. I'm not very good at figuring the premiums on these factors so any help would be appreciated. I grade it at MS 61-62 range because of the marks in the fields. Lady Liberty & Eagle are basically flawless & frosty. Any info on value opinions will be appreciated also.The photos are the best I can get right now. Thank you so much![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

4. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

The good thing is a 1880-O Vam 4 is included in some major variety sets. They do exists in PL/DMPL but not in huge numbers. A pricing example would be a 1880-O in 63DMPL is 1500 according to PCGS, the VAM 4 is $2000. Dont expect those numbers but it should help with you thoughts on premium. I have a 63PL but it is an OGH so I have not yet had it attributed. If yours lansd in a PCGS holder please let me know......

5. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I'm currently not a member of either PCGS or NGC. I had an NGC membership but it is now expired. I don't really plan to join any right now. I do want to have it graded & slabbed but there is really no dealers or shops in Alaska that submit for customers.

6. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Any more VAM collectors care to chime in?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your photo of the mintmark is a little blurry, but it does look like the small "O". It's possible that it could be a repolished DMPL. I think I see some diagonal polishing marks around the tailfeathers and arrows. If it does go MS62DMPL, it's about a $2K coin.

Chris

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

From your photos, it does appear to be a VAM 4. However, I see what looks like brush strokes across the reverse at the tail feathers as well as some very light ones on the obverse under the chin, and right of the date.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Those brush strokes are probably polishing marks to clean up the dies. There are a lot of "repolished" DMPL's.

Chris

10. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

They are die polish. Common on PL/DMPL's and dont forget if it was a cleaning it would carry over the TF's. Die polish goes under.

11. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

A little over melt? Outstanding. I recently paid $90 for one that is high AU+ or so. Nice coin you've got there.

12. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Thank you. I'm more than happy to give her a good home.

13. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Just wanted to share that I shipped her off to NGC today along with a handful of other Morgans. Hoping for 63 DMPL (fingers crossed), but I'll settle for 62 PL on this one and maybe a 66 or 67 on a couple others. Those are pretty common dates though. I'll keep you posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted