Thoughts on this 1859 seated dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Newbee03, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think grade and value could be and if it's real? mZTy1VfGRerPOgU6p8vLhmEi.jpeg Pdbi3JkAViqZ3Jy0HUhyiPeu.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Pass,just like the trade dollar these are some of the most counterfeited U.S coins and it looks suspicious.

4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I'm concerned it hasn't been slabbed by now.

Mr.Q likes this.
  5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

1859 is a lower mintage issue with most exported to China; as such it is very scarce in all grades which makes me immediately suspicious of this one. If it is in the same group as the 1871, both of them are immediately suspect. Photos are too small to make a call on authenticity or surface condition. I would avoid without an in hand exam; better yet avoid unless TPG slabbed.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

+1 ditto.

Even if it's real (about which I have serious doubts), it has that overscrubbed, harshly cleaned look.

Real or fake, it's a hard pass either way.

7. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Looks kinda funny to me. Post better closer up pics if possible.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

From what I can tell it’s loo my s mushy to me. Best to pass.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The photos are not sharp enough to tell for sure, but my first impression is that the piece is a counterfeit. More than a decade ago, the Chinese made complete sets of these coins (1840 to 1873) mounted in counterfeit Dansco albums.

furham likes this.
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

If you're going to collect LS and Trade dollars, you should really amass some resources to help you in evaluating them, most particularly if you're going to consider raw coins. Both series have been heavily counterfeited. The first step in evaluating genuineness is to attribute the obverse and reverse dies to a known die marriage. For LS Dollars, the link below provides the information you need. Dick Osburne and Brian Cushing have graciously made this resource available at no cost.

If a coin cannot be attributed or you can't determine attribution from the photos the seller makes available, the prudent choice is to run.

As to this 1859, it looks like it's been cleaned. Grade is somewhere around F-15 with the obverse being stronger (20-25) than the reverse which looks to be 12. Although some of the reverse's weakness may be due to strike. I can't tell from the photos.

Trying to attribute this coin from the awful photos; the obverse kinda looks like 3 based on where the 1 lines up with the vertical shield lines. Obverse 3 was only paired with Reverse D but D does not exhibit any unique die markers; the identifier for D is the absence of a horizontal shield line #1 extension to the left across first shield border. If they are /D, the die marriage would be OC-4 which is rarity R4-.

So, get better photos and attribute or give it up.

www.seateddollarvarieties.com

psuman08 and Newbee03 like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would pass on that one, sorry. Thanks, and good luck.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would only buy slabbed by a top TPG, and even then, I'd have the slab triple checked for authenticity. Can't trust anybody any more.

13. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

The 5 is wrong. The top is supposed to be delicate and curved. What I see is a flat bar.

14. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

Thank you guys on your opinions

ksparrow and Collecting Nut like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You’re welcome

Draft saved Draft deleted