Thoughts on this 1805 Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HULLCOINS, Apr 5, 2014.

1. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Looks like the one I bought for $1.90 (with free shipping) from the J-man, lol.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ehhhh, I could go either way. Coins that have been cleaned (harshly or not harshly) can have that look, but so can coins that have just gone through normal circulation. In normal circulation the darker grey color of toning as well as the dirt that accumulates on circ coins can be worn away on the higher points and in the open fields. Thus leaving a coin that looks exactly like that.

But, the exact same look can be duplicated with cleaning, again harshly or not harshly. So you have to look for other signs to determine what the case may be. Cleaning, proper cleaning is perfectly acceptable, harsh cleaning is not. So when there are no signs of harsh cleaning then the coin is deemed acceptable. I would say that is the case here.

That said, the coin does have numerous scratches on it, scratches that on other coins would probably result in the coin being put in a problem coin slab. But it is a large coin, early coinage, fairly expensive, has strong clashing, and thus susceptible to more lenient grading when it comes to problem coin designation. So it doesn't surprise me that this coin is in a problem free slab.

Would I put it in one ? Still could go either way.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would not second guess the TPG in this case, but I think cleaned. And sometimes the pictures are not the best. The reverse looks nicer to me than the obverse - in this case I say the date and rarity got it a pass. That is just my guess based off the pictures. I actually like the color on the one I cracked out for my album.

7. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Interesting strike, I like the clashing. It does look to have been cleaned by those photos, but if PCGS deemed it market acceptable, I could live with that. Just don't crack it out and expect it to grade again!!! lol

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Me I feel it to have been over dipped and I don't like the gouge on the obverse I think this one got a pass. Are any of its problems awful no. Would I buy it no. It's not a particular rare date and personally I'd wait for a nicer one

josh's coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted