Thoughts on these two Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, May 3, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The images are the sellers so this is all I have to work with, they are graded not going to say what until I get your feed back. 1901 O & 1880 S s-l1600 1.jpg s-l1600 4.jpg s-l1600 C.jpg s-l1600 D.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

OK, what I think I see...lower mint state (62-63), fairly attractive toning, reverse on the 80S looks prooflike and really nice.

4. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

the 80s looks like a 79/80...nice Morgan's ;)

5. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I prefer the 80-S. You going to keep them in the old holders?

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Between the 0 and the MM location, it sure seems to have a good shot at VAM-11, doesn't it? :)

With these images, both seem in the 63-64 range, and at least the reverse of the 1880 looks an easy PL.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

They are some pretty coins .....

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice Morgans. I hope the photos honestly portray the toning.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Yes, I believe these would grade a tad bit higher but I'm the type who likes to keep things original .
    I'm not trying to flip them so they will say in the holders till I'm gone.
    Then who ever owns them can do as they wish.

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Good for you Paddy they look nice and frosty.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Well once in hand we will find out for sure.....so stay tuned.
    BTW the 1880 S graded 62 the 1901 O a 63.
    No matter I buy what my eye tells me and what I like, as long as you're pleased that's what counts. :)

fish4uinmd, rzage and Paul M. like this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I won't call the grades "wrong" based on these images, but I will say I suspect you'll be pleased with them. :)

Look at the 1880 for VAM-11 when you get it. Primarily, a bunch of polishing artifact/stuff in the upper right of the inside of the 0. It's a Hot 50 coin, not a huge rarity but any List coin is fun to have.

Dave Waterstraat and Paddy54 like this.
  14. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I collect "Gem" state "top tier" TPG certified Morgans, and I can post several that don't have the condition of those coins, from the detail I've viewed. I collected a couple of mine to examine field chatter and device marks, and then went to view Heritage description of MS65 grade coins which mention the normally detracting device marks. I believe these coins are at least of many certified MS65 coins condition.

One of the coins is a PCGS MS65 8" DMPL, which has appreciable chatter, mini-scratches/dings in Obverse fields, and probably a dozen mini-scratches/dings in prominent Obverse devices. The Reverse has minimal micro-scratches in the fields.

JMHO

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Paul M. and Paddy54 like this.
  15. Paddy54

Well we will see.....the people here who know me .....have often said to me that I have a good eye on picking coins .
    We all get lucky......even the blind pig finds a truffle.
    I appreciate your input and again in a few days....who knows..... thanks again.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I agree with the people that know you, although I personally like virtually flawless untoned coins, I believe you've chosen some nice coins. Enjoy!

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

From those pics I thought they were a pair of 64s. The first might have been a high end 63 but I can't quite tell from the pics

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Agree with bill mostly. The first one is limited to 64 on strike alone. The second I'd say 64+ maybe 65 and yes, either pl or dmpl. First one might get pl too but from those pics it's a big might

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Absolutely solid strike on both of them. Attractive and original, but not premium-worthy toning. I'm hoping the cameo effect on the devices is actually true to the in-hand appearance. Hard to say what I'd actually grade them based on the images, but anywhere from 63-65 is possible. I think you probably got a nice score. :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If you are buying the grade. I would buy them. Very nice Morgans.
    I bet they look even better in hand.

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Nice looking Morgans. Very common dates, and good specimens of both dates. Graded quite accurately, I will add. Definitely NOT approaching gem grade on either one, as there are too many marks, but certainly quite attractive. The toning is nice on both.

Draft saved Draft deleted