Thoughts on the “Maine Penny”?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you mean.

I used to watch the show “Ancient Aliens” and in the beginning they had some good stuff that made me wonder if at some point aliens did come and somehow influence humanity.

But as the seasons continued the evidence got worse and worse and upon investigating myself I realized they were twisting evidence and only being half truthful.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is not all the possibilities.

The origins of artifacts spread far and wide, even in the stone age. Human trade is remarkable and constant. Afgan Lapis lazuli ends up in prehistoric Europen alpine villages etc. It would well have come ashore for any number of reasons and been traded thousands of miles away.

4. Gam3rBlake

I’m not really sure what you mean?

Where are you suggesting it came from?

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I can't phrase it any better. Objects are spread around the world from human trade regardless of their origins, and have so even in the stone age.

6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is not a question. The coin dates itself and has a point of origin.

7. Gam3rBlake

I get that but saying objects spread around the world from human trade doesn’t really say much about the Maine Penny.

The question is when was it traded.

8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

umm - since it was created in 1100 or whatever. You're trying to imply that there is some magic meaning to that coin reaching north America from trade. But there is nothing particularly special about this kind of event. We see it all the time that objects get transferred well past the civilizations that created them or which they come in contact with. No European needed to contact any American natives for that coin to have arrived to North America. Its a coin. It is designed to travel and it did.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  9. Gam3rBlake

No I’m saying there is something incredible if this coin was in Maine in 1100.

According to the history books this coin shouldn’t have been anywhere near Maine at that point in time.

In order for it to get from Norway to Maine via trade there had to have been someone from Norway who gave it to the Native Americans.

Yet the history books say Native Americans at that time wouldn’t have any opportunity to trade with Norweigans for another few centuries.

It’s like finding an American Gold Eagle on Mars. There has to be someone to put it there.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

and it is not, and it could have gotten there anywhere in that 400+ year period, or whatever date of the soil level. It happens all over the world.

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

No, it isn't. There are no people on Mars.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

completely wrong

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I am not trying to rain on your parade here, but I thought this was an interesting teaching moment about coins and artifacts. This kind of transportation of an artifacts or a material from one culture to another is a tribute to the global scope of human trade, even over generations, that is unique to our species and can be found the world over. There are Chinese artifacts in Ancient Egypt. African objects in Europe and the Caribbean, etc etc. It is just an ordinary occurrence. Things of value get handed around, passed from generation to generation and travel about the globe, including in North and South America. It does not imply, without further evidence, of any direct trade or cultural contact. All the more so for coins. Every circulating coin you touch has a fascinating personal history, locked inside, and never to be known. They travel everywhere, not just as trade mediums, but for their own values.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Olaf III was king from 1066 to 1093, the vikings reached Canada in 1001 and established a settlement in 1009. They also remained in Greenland until 1410. There was trade between the vikings and the natives so it seems to me unsurprising that sometime during that period a coin of Olaf III could make it into native hands and eventually through trade make it's way south to Maine.

So
    4. Norwegian explorers actually made it to Canada and made contact with Native Americans, and the coin was given to them making its way south to Maine long before Europeans reached what is the United States.

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

or the coin traveled through Siberia. It is just not known. It is not like the New World was hermetically sealed.

Draft saved Draft deleted