Thoughts on shield pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PaNT3rA, Jul 24, 2019.

1. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Idk if its just me but when I'm inspecting a pile of pennies and I grab a shield I just toss it in a separate pile without looking at them, I'm not sure why but I don't like them for some reason. So should I actually take the time to look at them or no?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

On a side note this post just got me my "can't stop award" Woo

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I say no, but I'm already biased since I HATE the shield design, & I HATE zinc cents. :smuggrin: Now, there are many who will disagree, & there may be some valuable varieties out there, so let's see who else responds. ;)

Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

I hate the shield pretty badly and for some reason when I pick one up out of the pile I get mildly annoyed by it. I think maybe because the Lincoln Memorials had more to them?

6. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

I like the shield design, but I hate zincolns, so the coins get a solid meh from me as a result.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The low relief is terrible. Not a fan at all.
    Not to mention made with single squeeze method. Any doubled die IMO is the result MD and not a true doubled Die.

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Hey, we have something in common...I do that with all Lincoln cents (or pennies if you prefer). :D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Worthless garbage.

10. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Lol

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Shield cent is ugly. Period.

John Skelton likes this.
  12. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Well there we have it folks!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's a Crappy Zincoln, isn't it? I would not even risk contamination by putting it in an elongated press.

Chris

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

15. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

I just opened 10 rolls and it was about 95% shields and 2 dimes oddly enough. I'm taking them and demanding a refund!

tmeyer and PlanoSteve like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This old timers thoughts on shield cents??? For the first time ever I will use this expression..... “Meh”..

Sad thing is that 100 years from now surviving examples will likely be quite valuable.

John Skelton and PlanoSteve like this.
  17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I try not to think about shield pennies... or cents... whichever way, I try not to waste neurons on them...

18. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

well sadly you need them to have a complete set of Lincoln cents I say get,em new preserve them well!

19. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Well its the new generation the old heads are gonna hate the mids say meh and the kids are makin money on them. Personally l love the disign! I have found a few nice varieties.
    Check out the 2019 floating head lincoln cent
    It's going for good money. Love them or hate them it's what we got!!!

20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

All depends on how you choose to define "complete set".

If I collected Lincolns, I think I'd pursue Lincoln wheats as a set, and Lincoln bronze memorials as a different set. That way, I could avoid those nasty Zincolns altogether without feeling like my collection is missing anything.

21. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Valuable in part due to the fact those Zincolns will corrode if you wink at them.
    So, even though they mint them by the billions, only a few will survive. And nice, clean, uncirculated examples will be precious.
    Kind of like back in the day of large cents. A nice, uncirculated one is worth thousands. And, the Classic ones, because they were made from an inferior grade of copper, are worth even more.
    We should all throw back some nickels and cents for our grandkids.
    Cull out the junk, and save the Wheats, copper and shiny ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted