Thoughts on Pricing NOW of 2015 High Reliefs ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brian Calvert, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Well, I did hold off after suggesting to load up on a bunch more back in 2016. 3 years out now, dont see much chat on the Moderns... I watched the 2015 High relief American Liberty GOLD MS-70 PL go from 13K all the way down to 6K

Glad I listened to experience here... Just wondering, with the price of gold 10% lower than earlier in the year, another 2 years added, is this about the lowest you will get an MS-70 vs Spot price ? At some point it has to flatten out...
    Imagine all those Mercury's bought at top dollar.. .yikes
    Thanks Guys...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have been tracking the high-grade proof likes. They are just too expensive to buy. They have been trending down words for years, and I expect them to continue to do so. Ultra High Relief gold, Palladium, what not... They will all follow a similar pattern.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I would never hazard a guess on a question like that for ANYTHING. The poster above is like 99% likely to be correct. Why? "Motivated" sellers happen MUCH more than motivated buyers do.

5. Brian Calvert

Do you think that a Graded coin of MS-70 which you can get now at 1895.00 vs 1220.00 spot. This same coin (MS-70) was $2195.00 a year ago.

So from history not even a guess ? If Spot was the same 3 years from now, the 70 moves to $1395.00 or back to $2195.00

I see your point, it really would just be a guess... Especially with no shortage of Good Coins from this mintage.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Reversing a negative trend is VERY unlikely. Premiums over melt are NEARLY, with rare exceptions, always a one way trip down. The 2015 is a HUGE mintage for an ounce of gold.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Never touched them.....sold my 2009 to help nurture my classic commem collection.

8. Brian Calvert

Ok, so to carry on the conversation. Still trying to learn and still have little interest in starting an old coin collection unless I land a big collection that I can then add onto.

Question... If you were looking to add Monetary value in Gold... The common harder to find coins would be the way. Would you chose a 2008-W Buffalo burnished, or a 1997WJackie Robinson commemorative, harder to find ones that do add value due to lower mintage....?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. Brian Calvert

1997-W Robinson - that coin drives me crazy, I see them at $2500.00 and cameo's at 800.00 A regular strike worth more than a PROOF... That makes no sense to me...
    I cant even figure out if the total overall is 5174 or is that just regular strike and so on. "THEY" "YOU GUYS" don't make it easy

10. green18

24,072 proof and 5174 business strike........

11. Brian Calvert

Thank you Sir

green18 likes this.
  12. Brian Calvert

I guess the difference is that the 5174 will ONLY gain in Value, plus Always holds it's gold price... I almost feel for NGC, nothing or nearly nothing hold the price...

13. green18

By and large, the business strike gold always winds up with the lower numbers.......back, a few years ago, I would always purchase both a proof and an uncirculated gold commem, but budget constraints (being as they are) only allow me (currently) to purchase one piece so I always go with the business strike. :)

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Even with weakening prices, the prices of the high reliefs are still too much for me to swallow. Pity. I’d love to own one.

15. Brian Calvert

I feel the same way now. Learning curve, as long as it is with GOLD I dont feel bad. Picked up a burnished Buffalo 2008 yesterday. Happy with the price, of course it is VALUED higher on the NGC site, which one can expect i guess.. There is always more to learn. Picked up a Pre-1933 double eagle last week too.

16. Brian Calvert

Thanks, am finding good info online, but think i need a good book or 2

Draft saved Draft deleted