Thoughts on NGC/NCS Conservation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LM3012, Feb 28, 2017.

1. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

So I've recently made my first submission to NGC, sent in a collection of Russian Coins I have including several of the Y# 323 3 Rouble Ballet coins. They got back to me last night and said that several of them are "great candidates" and "could probably benefit" from NCS Conservation (at about $25 per coin). All are already receiving grades of MS66-MS67, so my question is has anyone had experience with NCS, and does anyone have any opinions of if the service could boost these grades? Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Interesting concept. If it increases the eye appeal it can increase the grade. IMO

Paul M. likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It might, and it might not. That's kind of the primary problem with cleaning coins - you never know how it will turn out. It could be good or it could be bad, sometimes very bad.

There have been numerous examples of coins that were already graded fairly high, and once cleaned by NCS, ended up being in a details slab because the cleaning revealed a problem that could not be seen until after the cleaning was done.

Other times, the eye appeal of the coin suffered.

Bottom line, if you roll the dice you don't know what numbers are going to come up ;)

5. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

Fair enough, that seems to be the most common thing I'm seeing said on several forums. Coins were sealed in original mint plastic when I sent them tho, so I'm also half wondering what was even on them to be cleaned off :p

Paul M. likes this.
  6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

personally, if the coins will grade without conservation, grade them without.

I have had NCS "conserve" coins only to reveal an old cleaning and then send it back to me in a details slab marked "improperly cleaned"

imrich and Paul M. like this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I have limited experience with NGC and NCS. That being said, one time NGC gave me the same recommendation after they had slabbed my proof half dollar coin. After conservation, the proof coin was graded two points higher. We discussed it here at CT and it was most everyone's opinion that a bump of POSSIBLY 1 grade might have been expected.

It is always a roll of the dice (as GDJMSP stated). I suspect that a better looking & better conserved coin will be the result since NGC is recommending it.

Here is a 1909 nickel that was slabbed MS64 & came back 65 cameo after NCS.:)

Copy of 1909 PF65 CAM.JPG
    I really can't complain about my experience with NCS. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[​IMG]

Unless THEY improperly cleaned them.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

No, I will give them credit... they uncovered an old cleaning on this coin. The thing that got me upset is that they then sent me a coin that was devoid of the nice toning that I had sent it in with, and that it now looked cleaned.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Paul M. likes this.
  10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

harrync, Kirkuleez, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There is a difference between a newish coin in mint plastic that may have developed a slight haze from chemicals in the minting process, and a 100 year old coin that has been subjected to 100 environmental years. Both coins might reveal previously hidden issues.

Mike's old cleaning now retoned is an example of the latter.

Which is more likely is what you have to ask yourself and what are the rewards - including preventing further environmental deterioration.

You might call NGC to ask what they see and what the risks are.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Take the grades and call it a day. Unless I sent something in expecting that to be the recommendation I would want to see the coin back in hand before making a decision. One exception would be hazy moderns which is a simple fix.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, NCS was/is a really good service; however, I have not used their services in quite a few years (that's why the "is"?). As you wrote, they sent a note that your coin could be conserved. Normally, they would not do this unless it was an "easy $25" and at least an upgrade. IMO, they should just call you while they have the coin.

If you do some research, there is one TPGS that would have called you and with your approval they would have "fixed" the "problem" of negative eye appeal on your coin for free.

Proofs especially are prone to spots and haze. These lower the coin's eye appeal/grade. Many knowledgeable dealers and collectors conserve their coins before submitting them; but it's best not to touch them if you are not proficient.

To the best of my knowledge, these coins are not expensive. It may be best to save the fee this time unless a grade jump will bring a lot more money.

JAY-AR, LM3012 and Paul M. like this.
  14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The only conservation I've ever had done was in a situation such as yours, where the TPG contacted me before returning the submitted coins, and recommended conservation for select items in the submission.

In each case the coin successfully upgraded. Those were all high grade gold coins which they were holding back for copper spots. I have no experience with conservation of copper, nickel or silver, and do not wish to weigh in on the likelihood that you'll be happy with conservation of such coins.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Paul M., mikenoodle and LM3012 like this.
  15. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

You might go to youtube and search "numistacker". He sends a lot of modern world coins to NGC and some to NCS for conservation. You can see them before conservation in the grading submission videos and after in the grading return videos. Generally, he's been very pleased with the results.

Cal

Paul M. and LM3012 like this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But that's the thing - they are asking you to let THEM gamble with YOUR money. No matter what the outcome is, they get paid, they come out ahead. You only come out ahead if the right numbers come up. If the right numbers do not come up - you lose, you suffer the loss - not them. They have absolutely nothing to lose, for them it's a win win.

Granted, and this is something that a lot of people don't realize, the cleaning of the coin is not the hard part. Yeah you have to have to the knowledge to do it but that's the easy part. The hard part is knowing on which coins you should attempt it and which coins you should leave alone. And nobody is right all the time.

Insider likes this.
  17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Actually, it can be a losing situation for them. If enough coins come out of conservation with a lower grade or no grade, word will get around. "word" can be greatly magnified these days if enough folks with skills using forums, blogs, social media, etc. get motivated to push it. This bad publicity would not only decrease conservation business, it could have a negative impact on the much more important grading business.

Cal

18. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

This is 100% true. The incredibly small world that internet forums and social media have created make word of mouth immeasurably more powerful in any market than it used to be, and people tend to be much more vocal about bad experiences than good. In today's world, a bad experience is no longer something a few friends and neighbors hear about. Thousands can hear instantly in a single post, and it can come back to any business very quickly, good or bad. I have to believe that one of the larger TPG companies out there is not simply looking to "get" people and that Calcol is right in that if enough people were losing these bets, we'd hear more about it than I've seen...

capthank and Paul M. like this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I generally agree, but in the case of NCS I believe most people just say no

Paul M. and LM3012 like this.
  20. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

Also a definite possibility!

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Does anyone know if NCS conserves ancient coins? If so does anyone have any experience with using them for ancients?

Draft saved Draft deleted