Thoughts on high relief gold and silver coin/metal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I don't know, the more I look at it...……..it's kinda growing on me. The reverse is awesome and the obverse side profile is reminding me of a younger Vanessa Williams. I'll probably pick up the medal on the aftermarket.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I can’t believe some of you guys don’t like the design... lady liberty is looking better than ever (post edited to remain family friendly :)

...however I am absolutely not interested in a 2.5oz silver medal - what should I do with it?
    So I’d prefer the gold coin.

green18 likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

After going back and looking multiple times at this medal, the reverse is one of my favorites in recent times. Absolutely gorgeous....IMO.
    Conversely, the obverse is the ugliest, most putrid design I think I've ever seen.

I'm definitely giving this a pass.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

My gosh. They are really striking that abomination? What is it, a third grader's interpretation of St Gauden's $10 eagle? The reverse is not so bad, butter face............

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Because it's a medal and not an denominational issue.........

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I like it as well. I'm infatuated with mint medals. Currently, the presidential series of medals intrigues me and I'm well on board with them........

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Gold $1,940
    Silver $99.95

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Is this necessary? You could have said “I don’t like it” or “there were better designs in the past”. What’s wrong with Lady Liberty?

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You're taking my disgust for this specific design of Lady Liberty beyond this one medal. I don't dislike Lady Liberty. I even like the obverse on the Peace Dollar infinitely more than this design.

I don't like Lady Liberty's missing cranium.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nah, your just getting over the revulsion.

masterswimmer and BuffaloHunter like this.
  12. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

The obverse kinda sucks, The reverse is better. Really not into medals and the gold just doesnt make any sense to buy right now, There will be some people trying to dump these when money gets tight so i'll just take my chances on down the road.

13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Speaking of High Relief Silver..... I have a couple of the Saint-Gaudens NPF Commemoratives from 2016.

Anybody know why they are in a very thick NGC slab ? Can't have anything to do with the coin's thickness, the 2009 UHR gold is thicker and is in regular NGC and PCGS slabs.
    2016 PF 70 Ultra Cameo Saint-Gaudens Silver High Relief front.jpg
    2016 PF 70 Ultra Cameo Saint-Gaudens Silver High Relief back.jpg

14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

There's also an Ultra High Relief for the Saint-Gaudens coin. And Australia has high relief Wedge-Tailed Eagle coins. Other mints are doing regular "specials" with HR.

High relief seems to be the new marketing ploy.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted