Thoughts? On grade and has it been cleaned?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mammoth29, May 29, 2015.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

5. Rick Stachowski

I think its a lighting issue myself, its over exposed ... Who ever took the images needed some overhead lighting, to stop the overexposure ...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lots of dark areas in the images for it to be overexposed.

7. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I was out of town all weekend so no chance to reply.
    The main reason I was looking at purchasing this coin was because of price. I was potentially buying this coin along with an NGC certified MS61 1878 CC Morgan for a total of $400.00, which I think would be a good value if this coin was not cleaned.
    My red flag for this particular coin was what some have pointed out, I could see the luster around the edges of the coin but not throughout the entire coin.
    At any rate, I passed on the purchase after reading most the comments on here believing it had been cleaned/polished.
    Thanks again!

alyssacoins and Rick Stachowski like this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Then, thats all folks .. Lol ...

9. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

Not necessarily,if I follow you correctly. I have seen discoloration and I heard that is most likely from improperly cleaning the coin and what I think is meant by that is they didn't get all the cleaner off the coin and it's a build up. My understanding made not be factual. Now as if there is a way of properly cleaning a coin, lol!, If they take their time and get all the solution of the coin, it will leave the luster around the devices and if you're lucky some of the luster on the fields, that is when it becomes tricky, because luster is an important part of the coin and will continue to have a nice cartwheel effect. Now you need to look for the dept of the cartwheel and how it hugs the coins and even jumps off the coin, if it's flat and lays across the coin - not good. Also, check for fine hair line scratches that are out of the ordinary - definitely cleaning. I don't know of any cleaners that are not abrasive. Also, when a coin is cleaned it usually cleans in the the indents of the high points, such as the hair, if there is no change in the luster - as in this morgan - it has been cleaned.

10. Rick Stachowski

Could be cleaned, thats for sure, but would of been recently, anytime you remove, let say something thats been there a long time, there is no way to stop the discoloring, I don't care how good the product is ..

11. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

AU53 cleaned

Draft saved Draft deleted