Thoughts? On grade and has it been cleaned?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mammoth29, May 29, 2015.

1. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Simple question on this coin. Has it been cleaned? Does it look dull or is it just me?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Its giving me a bad feeling also but i could just be poor lighting, i wouldn't buy it sight unseen unless better images can be provided !!

4. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

the angle of the pics leads me to believe it has been cleaned and the cheek seems to thumbed.
    Looks unc but need to have some straight on pics to be sure.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I don't think this coin has not been cleaned, you can see the " Spoke effect " is still there ... 000.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    alyssacoins and mammoth29 like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

cleaned, not unc

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ah, there's some reflection, anyway. The pictures might not be "all there" to say. If it's proof-like, it's not going to be too "spokey." It has wear, I agree with the Frankster on that.

Rick Stachowski and mammoth29 like this.
  9. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

Look at the coin under light and check to see if there is clear definition between the high point and low point, (especially the hair lines), if there isn't then it has been polished/cleaned. It doesn't look cleaned to me, but with that a few bucks you can get a beer.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. With all the nice certified examples of this date, why would you be interested in a raw coin?

alyssacoins likes this.
  11. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Totally wiped with a cloth.

12. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

I'm gonna say -55 or -58, but cleaned....dipped once to many times.

13. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

Should of mentioned this earlier - never ever go by the grade somebody writes on their flip - good move requesting help. I like what Psycoprofessor mentioned - I believe this is a common date for the Carson City - $465 is a lot money for a coin that is not certified. I would weigh it and look at it ten different ways under my halogen light, because a lot of comments think that is has been cleaned - one way or another.

14. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

I think I commented to the wrong person, when it should of been you, sorry -
    Should of mentioned this earlier - never ever go by the grade somebody writes on their flip - good move requesting help. I like what Psycoprofessor mentioned - I believe this is a common date for the Carson City - $465 is a lot money for a coin that is not certified. I would weigh it and look at it ten different ways under my halogen light, because a lot of comments think that is has been cleaned - one way or another. Just my opinion because it is a nice con to own.

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Especially CC Morgans, which are very popular in China... I'd pass on this one.

16. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

Not even a question, almost looks someone buffed it with a buffing wheel. I would look up what red book has for price on a VG4 and thats about what its worth. So many good coins have been destroyed by people thinking they are "cleaning" them. GL

17. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

With the coin looking in the shape it does and of course China, so would I.

Well for me, although this date and mintmark has/is not been a "want" for me at the moment, when I buy Morgan's, I prefer raw, for one, it's cheaper (yes, yes I know, you get what you pay for) but I don't have the budget, the room, or desire to buy graded Morgan's and I much rather enjoy a book full of Morgan's that I can display at any time then have these slabs buried in my closet.
    However, when it comes to a coin, or in this case a Morgan in that value, that "potential" grade and fakes appearing everywhere, I would never buy raw unless I know and trust the dealer. Then it becomes the matter on whether that person graded the coin correctly and if so, does it command that price especially being raw. I always re-grade the coin in front of said person and 9 times out 10, I have recived a discount.

Twobit and alyssacoins like this.
  18. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

I also like getting Morgan's and Walking Liberty's raw, they are such beautiful coins and display as much. In my opinion, everybody I'm going to purchase from is going to have a return policy and allow me to view it under my own light. Especially a Carson City - they are way too expensive.

charlietig likes this.
  19. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Agree. I feel the same way when it comes to the Walking Liberty's too, such beautiful coins that display so nicely in a Dansco album. Surprisingly though, when I started collecting in '08, I got a Dansco album for the American Silver Eagles and assembled a few in a book, then started looking at NGC Certified MS-69 E.R. Silver Eagles and actually preferred it graded or over raw, especially when so many of those are modern fakes with China, for those, I didn't take the risk and am very happy.

Twobit likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, but note how the "spokes" on the front only appear around the stars. That's a really common giveaway -- when someone scrubs or polishes (or even lightly circulates) a coin, it's hard to reach the fields around the stars, so those areas retain luster. I once bought a half-dollar type set where the Barber half was like that -- still had plenty of luster around the stars, but the rest was scrubbed down hard. Really sad.

21. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

If this coin was clean, wouldn't the areas around the devices be discolored .

Draft saved Draft deleted