Thoughts on counterstamped coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BRandM, Mar 2, 2013.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I know few of you have an interest in counterstamped coins, most seeing them simply as damaged or mutilated pieces. I see them differently of course as I research and collect them with a passion. To me they're messages sent to us from the past, some easily understood but others enigmatic and mysterious. I love the challenge of looking for what their legends are "saying".

Who was "G.W.C." and why did he stamp his initials on probably hundreds of Half Cents in the early years of the 19th Century? Why did he only stamp Half Cents? Who were "Hunt & Moore" and what type of business were they advertising? Where were they located? Who was "J.G. Amerigo" who stamped a beautifully executed coat-of-arms and his name on an 1833 Large Cent? I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I never give up the hunt. As is often the case, I may never find the answer but I think maybe the effort is more fun than the outcome.

At one time I also had a problem with the damage inflicted by counterstampers on sometimes very nice coins, but I was set straight years ago by a coin dealer friend of mine. He explained to me that when these coins were stamped they had no meaning to the issuers other than their intrinsic value. Much like we give little thought today to a common Lincoln Cent or Roosevelt Dime, they did likewise to Large Cents or Spanish silver coins. I've never forgotten that.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I know what you mean. I also collect postage stamps, and while mint stamps are nice, I enjoy the ones with postmarks on them much better. Especially when you can read the city on it. It adds a whole new level of history to the piece! I personally don't own any counterstamped coins, but I enjoy looking at them. It's always nice to be able to appreciate history, isn't it?

4. BRandM

A big part of collecting is the history behind what I collect STC, and counterstamps, Civil War tokens, sutlers and Irish political pieces have a really fascinating history to them. I love the research and meaning behind each one. I guess we have a common interest.

Bruce

5. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I will admit, I have always seen these stamped coins as "damaged" and barely given them another thought, but your post
    has made me reconsider that stance. I can see the alure of mystery with these coins. I enjoy the history aspect of coinage
    and often think about who could have held and spent the coins I own. Not that I would want the majority of my coins stamped,
    but how cool would it be if all our coins had a sort of provenance attached to them?

AnIowaGuy likes this.
  6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

A possible attribution would be to a gentleman called George W. Collins a daguerrian (photographer) during this time. He operated his trade out of Urbana Illinois. Another person who stamped his initials on coinage was G. W. Chapin, an arms inspector. People did this as a way of advertising their business in an area, much like a token did. Since half cents were given out in change more often, merchants stamp them more often. Eventually these coins wandered out of their trade area and the origins became vague. There is another person, G. W. Capron, but I'm not sure what he dealt in. Unless you can match the type to a document with their name on it, or some other example, it is impossible to attribute these counterstamps accurately.

7. BRandM

It does establish a provenance aubade if we can attribute them of course. While a large majority of documented counterstamps are unattributed, many thousands have been identified and are listed by Brunk, Hartzog, Rulau and others. I love finding the issuer of a maverick, but sometimes the research is as much fun. The history of what we collect does add to the enjoyment of our hobby.

Bruce

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

That is my current opinion/feeling towards them. But who knows what I will think in one year, two, ten... I used to think Type collecting was silly, but now I think it's the only way to collect. :foot-mouth:

9. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Some have great historical significance. For example, when the Marquis de Lafayette returned to the United States in 1824 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the start of the American Revolution, he was given a number of coins counterstamped with his and Washington's busts to present to well-wishers during his year long visit. Less than two dozen (primarily on large cents—cataloged by Brunk as L-46) are known to have survived.

P.S., when the Marquis del Lafayette landed in New York, fully one third of the entire population on the city was waiting to greet him at the wharf.

10. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Most people never use stamps these days. everybody uses email, or prepaid stamps.

11. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

xGAJx.. I think you misunderstood the topic.

This isn't about stamps (which are what you talked about), but counterstamps.

Counterstamps are stamped into coins for advertising, revaluing, or allowing it to be circulated in a place other than the issuing authority, along with other things (that I'm not sure of... I'm new to this)

12. BRandM

You're absolutely right about the historical importance of some counterstamps Cringely. A good example is the one you refer to. There are many others too including the California Gold Rush era stamps...some very rare and pricey. I would also include in the list the very few legitimate examples of counterstamped coins known to be used by Union soldiers as "dog tags" during the Civil War.

Bruce

13. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I am glad to be collecting these now, since although my collection is not extensive, what I do have might become out of reach as this niche specialty within numismatics becomes more and more popular (and the coins more and more expensive).

It is a great feeling to hold some of the modern/current counterstamped coins and know that I am holding a future rarity. (It is also a great feeling to CREATE some counterstamped coins that might be of interest to future collectors).

14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I do not collect these, but as an early copper collector I do have a great appreciation for them. Either way, I have found your approach to collecting, really getting involved in the histories and mysteries of the coins to be the most enjoyable aspect of collecting. A side benefit from this perspective that I have noticed is that high grade, and the associated high cost, is not as important to me as the significance of the coin I am purchasing.

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Counterstamps were occasionally used in antiquity to claim and/or monetize the coins of another nation.

Here is a Seleucid anchor counterstamp on an Alexander III tetradrachm, ca. 202-201 BC...

[​IMG]

When the Carthiginians destroyed Akragas, they counterstamped the regional coinage with the head of Herakles, ca. 405-392 BC...

[​IMG]

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That is very interesting John. It sure was a fast way to convert a county's coinage.

17. BRandM

I also have a great appreciation for counterstamped ancients John although I know almost nothing about them. The stamps are all about the history and meaning of each one. I can't think of more historic pieces than ancients.

Bruce

18. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

On a related subject, I think a chopmarked trade dollar looks hideous. I know it was a part of China's authentication process, but a couple well placed chops ruins the look of a classic designed coin.

19. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I would agree, to a point. An unmolested Trade Dollar is indeed a thing of beauty, but one that did hard time in China has been transformed into something different. It can be painful to imagine what it once was and what was lost as the chops were added, but if you look at it for what it is now, it can be attractive in a whole new way.

20. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

two coins I will own. a chopped trade dollar and a counter stamped early 8 reales, espcially in raw form because it wont hurt their value much at that point.

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I love this one:

Looks like it says TAMALLO with reversed L's.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted