Thoughts on authenticity of Valerian I antoninianus coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Hi all

This coin came up in one of my automated alerts I have set up for bargains. The price is very good, and I've been looking for a late silver coin.

I think this is a salvage coin? Any red flags before I snap it up?

[​IMG]

Weight: 2.9 g
    Diameter: 20.0 mm

AC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks fine to me.

AussieCollector likes this.
  4. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Looks OK, just a little worn.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Later Valerian is about as poor billon as coins got before they started silvering them to make them look silver. The coin has little wear and no real damage but the poor metal is eroded from burial and cleaning. Many look as porous as this but there are some that suffered less over the centuries. Slightly better Valerian coins are not all that expensive so The question is whether this is pleasing to you and just how well this fits your desires. If you want to demonstrate how bad billon can get and still be gray in color, this is the coin. I might suggest getting one like this and one from a bit earlier and a bit later to demonstrate the transition.
    rp1480bb0167.jpg

My 'less silver' example is an error caused when two flans stuck together so it has no reverse but it shows the color. The next step would be a coin of Valerian's son Gallienus that showed silvering added but worn away to reveal enough core to make the point. If, however you just want one Valerian, I'd hold off and find one with better metal.
    rp1525fd2805.jpg

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I found Valerian-era coins to be an acquired taste - all the variations in metal and strike quality, as Doug notes. As for the OP, it is about my least favorite appearance of these issues - low quality silver that has suffered from being buried and cleaning giving an "eroded" appearance (as Doug says).

However, once I got a few in hand, they really started appealing to me. Below are a few examples from my collection that are low grade, but to me still appealing. The bottom photo is of three from Valerian's daughter-in-law Salonina - these show the varying metal quality and, with the two AEs, the nice colors/patina these can acquire over the centuries:

Valerian Ant APOLLONI CONSERVA Jul 2018 (1aaa).jpg
    Valerian Ant SECVRITAS Feb 2018 (0).jpg
    Valerian Ant. PIETATI AVGG May 2018 (0).jpg
    Salonina 3 Feb 2018 (1).JPG

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have another of these "billon" antoniniani which is kind of silvery, but kind of not. The powers that be probably were ordering the mints to debase the silver a little more each year to the point that by the time of Gallienus' later reign all we have are AE antoniniani. One wonders what the populace thought about these coins and possibly rampant inflation impacting the quality of life, that is if one could avoid the barbarian and Persian depredations throughout the empire.

valerian1.jpg

valerian2.jpg

8. Marsyas Mike

In my limited experience, I've never seen a coherent pattern of debasement for Valerian (or Gallienus).

Unless I screwed up my attributions, here are two examples of RIC 287c from the Antioch or Samosata mint, the common RESTITVT ORIENTIS type. The one on the left is fairly decent silver - at least it looks that way, and weighs 4.12 grams. The one of the right is pretty much AE as far as appearance goes, and weighs 3.77 grams. Same type from same mint.

Valerian RIC 287c examples 2018 (1).JPG

9. ancient coin hunter

Couldn't resist posting this...poor old Valerian

valerian.jpg

10. ancient coin hunter

So you are saying there was no specific pattern of debasement?

To my relatively untrained eye it does appear that the Eastern mints were occasionally using better silver than the Rome and Western mints. Also, we must remember that Postumus was striking coins of 17-18% silver when Rome itself
    was striking the AE silver-washed types. Maybe it's part of the general chaos of the times.

AussieCollector and Marsyas Mike like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect the difference between those two coins can be attributed to things that happened after they left the mint. Different soil, different containers and different cleaning could cause this difference in appearance.

dlhill132 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

It's harder to find an extra preserved example of Valerian I coin compared to for example Gordian III. Three Valerian I's ants from my collection:
    088-02.jpg 088-03.jpg
    088-04.jpg

dlhill132, bear32211, Finn235 and 7 others like this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

I'm no expert, so I am not making a definitive statement about patterns of debasement (or anything else) - but based on the coins in my (modest) collection, the Valerian/Gallienus era seemed to vary widely in metal quality, but not necessarily beginning/end of reign. This is just a collector's statement - a fairly inexperienced collector. I got my first Valerian in 2017, if that tells you anything!

As for Postumus, he seems as erratic as Gallienus - although it is usually said that his early coins were fairly good (compared to Gallienus) silver. My recent Rhine River God issue is supposed to be "early" and it looks AE to me:
    Postumus - Ant Rhine Reclining Nov 18 (0).jpg

This SALVS reverse looks pretty fine silver to me (fine for the time anyway):

Postumus SALVS (1).JPG

But no doubt somebody has tested a bunch of these and have established patterns for dates/mints.

As Gogigli1977 notes, the metal quality of Gordian III (for instance) seems to be much more reliable. In the Trajan Decius/Trebonianus Gallus era things seem to get much more flaky - again, this is based on my small, recent collection, but some of my Antioch (or generic eastern issues) from these emperors appear to be very debased, whereas the Rome issues are usually better. But I don't have enough coins to claim a "pattern" - my sample is so small it isn't safe to draw conclusions.

Here is a Trebonianus Gallus I just posted elsewhere from Antioch - it appears to be quite debased.
    Trebonianus Gallus - Ant. IVNO MARTIALIS rev. $10 BIN Mar 2018z.jpg

I'm not sure I agree with Doug on the two Valerian ORIENTIS examples I showed - the silver/AE difference seems intrinsic to the coins, not based on things that happened afterwards. But Doug knows WAY MORE than I do about such things. The desert patina on the smaller one may be hiding a more silvery appearance (but I don't want to clean it).

More experienced members could shed more light on this. Just a suggestion - I've seen posts where the silver "wash" applied to Roman coins seems to cause confusion. I've never seen a Valerian/Gallienus so treated - this seems to come later, around Aurelian or thereabouts. But again, I could be wrong. That third example in Gogili1977's post almost looks "washed."

14. AussieCollector

Thanks for the opinions guys, much appreciated.

Thank you Doug, incisive as always.

I think I've mentioned previously that history is the most important part of coin collecting for me. I'm a simple man, and the general aim in my collections is to get samples from various periods of the kingdom/empire/state (i.e. a few examples of early, a few examples of mid, and a few examples of late). I also have a bit of a preference to purchase silver or gold coins where possible (I just prefer the look and feel).

In relation to this coin specifically, it is pleasing to me in the sense that:
    1) It is billon/silver, and noticeably so
    2) It is 'late Roman silver'
    2) It is from a period I do not have yet (I essentially have nothing after Septimius Severus at this stage)

The look is not pleasing to me however. I mean, it's good in the sense that you can see it has at least some silver, but it has no toning and the porous look isn't something I actively seek. Valentinian is also not an Emperor I am seeking specifically.

I've had another search, and have found this Gordian III Antoninian for not much more. It's a little earlier, but has better eye appeal in my view. *cough* any red flags? :D

upload_2019-1-6_9-29-17.png

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I can't recall a Valerian I am sure was silver washed as opposed to just surface enriched but there are Gallienus sole reign coins I believe are washed.
    rp1595bb2839.jpg rp1640b01162lg.jpg rp1670bb2275.jpg

I would never say that the smaller of the Valerians in question has good/better silver under its current surface. Cleaning the coin would probably wreck it. All I said was that two coins that looked alike at the mint could leach out metals differently and tone differently according to what happened to them.

dlhill132, chrsmat71, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Gordians can look much better for a reasonable price. They had a lot more silver than Valerians. Both were mostly copper but there is a big difference when you get in the small percentages. Again, I'd wait for a better one if this is to be your only Gordian.

17. AussieCollector

Ok, I think I'm going to put an offer in for this one (which is twice the price of the original coin I posted, but still not much in the grand scheme of things)
    [​IMG]

18. Marsyas Mike

I like this one much better than the OP. Interesting reverse too - I believe that is Gordian sacrificing.

I'm a relentless bargain hunter - I've gotten some really respectable Gordians for around $20... not all the time, just now and again, on eBay.

19. AussieCollector

Yea, thanks for the nudges to go with something better. This coin is pleasing to me in all of the desired criteria, not just most.

20. AussieCollector

Thanks all, I ended up purchasing the Gordian (the 2nd one, the nice one)

21. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Good quality coins of Valerian and Gallienus carry extremely steep premiums, but emperors like Gordian, Philip, Decius etc are perfectly affordable in nearly mint state. Most of the XF/AU Gordian III's I've ever sold went for under $40, and flashy Philip I's only go for over $50 if they are a more desirable reverse type.

My favorite Valerian, one of the few that show a seasoned politician and military commander in his mid to late 60's:
    Valerian Fides Militvm.jpg

What's an Augustus gotta do to get a drink around here?
    Shapur i drachm.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted