Thoughts on authenticity of this piece? 1846 US $1

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rhazada, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

Hello all! New to this forum, and hoping to get some more experienced feedback on how genuine this 1846 US dollar coin is.

For those who are wondering, not magnetic, silver sound when struck, and weighs in at 26.4 grams. Diameter is correct.

Thank you all for your time and consideration!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

It looks real from here. Man, don't rub a magnet on that coin or bounce it off anything!

That's a nice coin and expensive, if real! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Rhazada likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't see any red flags. I'm going to vote "authentic."

Rhazada likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks legit to me -- I don't know much about the series, but it doesn't show any of the obvious tells I expect from common counterfeits.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

Rhazada likes this.
  6. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

Oh don’t worry, I did everything carefully :D I’m a long-time collector but I’ve never had one of these in my collection before and I’m woefully unaware of what to look for regarding red flags.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin, where did you get it?

Rhazada likes this.
  8. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

I purchased this coin on eBay to be honest. I’d been watching going prices and available coins for weeks. While everything about the sale seemed reasonable, and the wear and color on this coin appeared inefficient to replicate in a counterfeit, thoughts from folks who have dealt with these coins before are valuable :)

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Kentucky

People here are always ready to help, even if it is bad news.

Rhazada likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Posting pictures like this helps...
    422D33CA-AE23-49FC-AADE-FA149155760B.jpeg C3CD5CF0-B015-4B8C-9A80-68098FFE64A8.jpeg

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am with my esteemed brethren above and agree that one looks authentic to me as well. Nice purchase and welcome to CT. Hang around a while. Lots of lessons in these threads on spotting counterfeits.

Rhazada likes this.
  12. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

Many thanks! And yes, I’m ready to learn haha. I will post some other coins soon, some recently-acquired 8 reales coins. I have time to return them if they aren’t the coins I’m hoping they are, but boy if I knew what to expect regarding 8 reales, I might have waited. “Counterfeits exist” is an understatement :p

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I saw a 1840 in an antique store that had an obverse motto.
    That was good for a laugh since the motto didn't appear until 1866.

Rhazada likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks good to me. Welcome to CT.

Rhazada likes this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks real to me. Don't know if it would straight grade but a nice coin for a type set.

Rhazada likes this.
  17. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

Okay, so I’ve done a bit more research and can confirm first of all that the 1 in the date is repunched, as is expected. However there is one detail I am unable to find on a coin of this grade: a small lump connecting the top berry of the branch on the reverse to the eagle. My next question would be: is it possible that this could be completely absent due to it being a later strike, evidenced by the more notable die crack?

I’ve included a link which should explain what I’m talking about. Specifically I’m certain this can only be an OC-1 variety.

http://www.seateddollarvarieties.com/1846.shtml

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Genuine, and surfaces look original as far as I can tell from the provided images. Is that a mark from a pen on the rev rim at about noon?

Rhazada and Mainebill like this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Absolutely original vf seated dollar with apparently unmolested surfaces. I like it. 1846 one of the most common dates for the no motto type with a large for seated dollar mintage of over 100k I see no reason it wouldn’t straight grade I’d say vf-30 myself. The dark spot on the reverse looks like a stain not damage and I doubt it would get a details grade for that. Pcgs puts it at $460 in vf 30. A retail price. Wholesale raw probably $350-75 I find original skin seated dollars especially without major marks like this piece very hard to find. A great pickup

Rassi and Rhazada like this.
  20. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

I do love the surfaces for sure. And that is unfortunately a large scratch but for everything else the coin offers, it’s minor for my personal collection.

21. Rhazada

Rhazada New Member

I do love the original color and look to this coin, the reverse does show a large scratch but the rest of the coin more than makes up for it to me. I wanted this piece for my type set ultimately.

I do still wonder about the die crack/lump between berry detail though. I looked at numerous graded examples on various websites, and found that more often than not, only one of those two details was present on any given coin. Rarely were both present. The repunched 1 always showed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted