Thoughts on another Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SuperDave, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This lovely little piece just in from @ddddd. Guesses as to grade and VAM? I shot it with "normal" technique and an El Nikkor 75mm, with no real attempt to bring out the color. It deserves - and will receive - better from that standpoint, soon. The first set is with the usual 10-2 lighting (a little diffused), the second set was shot upside-down under the same lighting to better show the smoking-gun attribute of the VAM. Not that it'll make it much easier. :)

2016_06_29_0133sml.JPG

2016_06_29_0134sml.JPG

2016_06_29_0136sml.JPG

2016_06_29_0135sml.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I hereby recuse myself :p

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the patina. Looks like it could be an AU58/63. Looks like some nice luster remains. I'm leaning more towards 63.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say 62/63 luster as well its original skin tone would make me a buyer on this specimen. Definitely has eye appeal to this collector . Just as the specimen I posted the "1883 " The grade is important, but more so nice skin and eye appeal . That said I prefer eye appeal over grade.
    As for the Vam the op is correct to the fact this is one that is not easy to nail down. There's a few I considered but not all the puzzle pieces fit.
    That said I'll take the easy way out, as my eyes are very tired

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

One of my favorite reverse die chases. My guess would be V22A1 and MS62ish.

Paddy54 and dwhiz like this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

MS62 and if I may Cert # RD1465, it looks like the one I once owned.

8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Au58, if those scratches on the reverse is on the holder ms62.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Toning drags up to 63.

10. Paddy54

I was considering that one... but my eyes are so tired I can hardly keep them open,

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

What's a "die chase" please?

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

MS63. Original surfaces & nice toning.

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 62, and noce toning.

15. SuperDave

Funny, that it's come back to PA after its' vacation elsewhere. :)

And 22A1 is my in-hand attribution as well. The date location is diagnostic for the obverse.

16. Dave Waterstraat

This reverse die is used on at least 4 VAMs with the denticle impression below the Eagle's right wing and is found paired with 2 different obverse dies along the way. I have 3 at the moment. I call it a chase because of the VAM numbers involved with the reverse die progression starting with VAM22A1 then VAM12B then VAM12A ending with VAM22A2.

17. SuperDave

22A1 was the only use of that obverse in the series, right? 12B (the next step) plainly has the date in a different position.

18. Dave Waterstraat

I believe so.

19. Paddy54

This coin to me has eye appeal , I rather have a coin that is pleasing to the eye then higher grade. But that's me I know others who want bright blast white silver coins. And yes I've have seen blast whites that have eye appeal . But there's something about adding a little color that gives a coin some character.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Right you are Paddy, and by Dave's photo's, this piece does garner 'interest'........wouldn't mind having her in my cabinet :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. SuperDave

I simply didn't care about the grade. Although with this color, even a 1904-O in MS64 would likely have been out of my budget. :)

2016_06_29_0137sml.JPG

PAC, dwhiz, Santinidollar and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted