Thoughts on a cleaned coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by findone, Jan 17, 2017.

1. findone

findone New Member

So I recently came across a coin that I suspect has been cleaned. I'd say dipped rather than rubbed with a cloth or a polish. I'm referring to a 1916 s obv walker. I'd grade it about a G4-G6 maybe a lil higher but not much. I just get the feeling it was cleaned at some point. I don't see any swirls or scratches under 10x mag, just normal wear, but it just doesn't have that "dirty tarnished look" covering the fields and little cracks as much as you might expect a 100 year old coin to have. This is hard to see in a picture. Anyway, in such a grade and supposing the coin had been "dipped" how much would it kill the value? Also what are the chances it'll quickly regain some of that tarnish. It was an eBay pickup with a good return policy. I'd love to have the coin and I could be TOTALLY wrong, but I have that feeling it was cleaned.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

4. findone

findone New Member

20170117_201311.jpg 20170117_201420.jpg

5. findone

findone New Member

I hope the pics came through. I can't take it out of the original flip or it isn't returnable. There's a little glare from the plastic. Thanks for the looks.

6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Dipped? I don't know if I could tell from these pics if it was recently dipped.
    I like it. I'd keep it.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Pics make it hard to tell, but that's one clean coin for so much wear...

8. Seattlite86

As far as returning it, ask yourself why you bought the coin at the price and grade you did and ask yourself if buying it cleaned changes you wanting to buy it.

charlietig likes this.
  9. findone

findone New Member

I did say to myself that it looked pretty clean for the wear. The auction pics were even more difficult too tell from. If I knew for sure it was cleaned I would have skipped over it. At auction I called it a G4-G6 and got it for $78 from a good seller. If I were able to notice that it was polished or rubbed I'd send it back no second thoughts. It might not be dipped but as you said it looks clean for the wear. With that said, the price I got it for wasn't all that bad and that's why I'm out looking for opinions and debating with myself on keeping it or not. Thanks for the look.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Put it in your pocket for a few weeks. Just amazing what a toss back into circulation will do. :)

findone likes this.
  11. findone

findone New Member

Funny I thought about that! My luck I'd end up losing it.

hotwheelsearl and green18 like this.
  12. green18

Just be ever mindful of what you have in your pocket.......I've got an ASE and an 2014 Hall of Fame Dollar in mine at the moment. I keep checkin' to make sure they're still there. :)

Golden age likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Also be mindful of where those pockets end up. I was given a shiny 1997 ASE when I went to my first coin show as a YN. I went home and threw those pants into the laundry, ASE and all. I still have the ASE, it's just no longer UNC... :banghead:

14. green18

You been 'laundering' money, my dear friend...... devil.gif

Golden age, Clawcoins and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Probably cleaned but the images make it tough to see what all is going on with the coin.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There are situations where that's an appropriate solution....

Seattlite86 and green18 like this.
  17. Seattlite86

18. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is dipped or cleaned, but it definitely has that washed out look. I would return it if possible, and get one with a natural patina in relation to the wear. I have some coins that have been cleaned, and I regret buying them every time I look at them.

19. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I know cleaning harms value, but how much approximately? This coin still has appeal so that should make up for the cleaning a bit?

Draft saved Draft deleted