Thoughts on a $25,000 collection 1961-D Washington Quarter or ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coolhandred24, Jul 1, 2020.

1. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

Slabbed grading has caused real anomalies in the coin market that truly baffles my mind at times. For instance I have been filling my Washington Quarter set with slabbed MS 65 coins that catch my eye for what I consider "reasonable" prices and noticed I can obtain a 1961-D in MS-65 for around $25-$35. The MS-65 slabbed coins available all look good and I would be very happy to display them to my friends and fellow collectors. However I noticed a MS-67+ is valued at around $25,000!!! Yeah, I know they are supposedly profoundly rare, but really? $25,000 for a 1961-D Quarter?????

Just consider you can actually build a nice set of truly "rare" coins for approx. $25,000.

You can get all of the following for that money:
    1877 Indian MS 60 $4500
    1909 s VDB Lincoln MS 63 $1800
    1937-D 3 leg Buffalo Nickel MS 63 $4000
    1916 D Dime XF 40 $5500
    1901 s Barber Quarter G 4 $3750
    1916 Standing Liberty Quarter F 12 $6000

These are all "Keys" in their series. And are well known, popular and I am pretty confident very liquid if you need your cash back quickly.

Now I am asking from a coin collectors point of view what would you rather have: a 1961-D Washington Quarter in MS 67+ or the above collection of 6 classic American rare coins? Thoughts?

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I think there are some registry hunters who have too much time and just really want the "best" possible coin, regardless of the price.

I think this is absolutely not your average coin collector.

There is an argument to be had regarding quanitity vs quality, but at a certain point it no longer makes sense.

If you absolutey had to spend 25,000 on coins only, and you had the choice between 25,000 pocket change coins or one $25,000 slabbed coin, then I would go for the slab.

But in almost every other instance, there should be no realist reason to spend that much for something which is only "marginally better" than an MS65.

Are you going to sleep with your MS67 and ogle, fondle, and salivate over its perfect surfaces?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    coolhandred24, spirityoda and -jeffB like this.
  4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I thought I had seen it all. Then I read your last paragraph!

Beefer518 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

As many here have learned the hard way...

7. -jeffB

And hope that nobody turns up an MS68 example, making that MS67+ no longer top pop, right?

Beefer518, NSP, coolhandred24 and 2 others like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

No way would I pay that price on 1 coin. For sure not a 1961 MS67+. Many other coins I could get for all that money. I think that price is a register set price.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

And all of a sudden a $25k coin becomes a $2k one. Sad reax only

NSP likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

If anyone has to pay for a wife, they are truly lame! :D

11. hotwheelsearl

I was so cheap with my last girlfriend that she paid for take out and pizza most of the time. LOL
    To be fair, I did "pay" for her, in that I took a ~60$ trip every month to see her in a different city.

But not $30k. Takes something special to be worth more than brand new Chevy Camaro!

12. -jeffB

There are things you can't do with a Camaro.

Okay, there are things you shouldn't do with a Camaro.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you can afford the $25k coin you can afford the others as well you don't have to choose one or the other.

There's a number of people out there that want the best of the best and have the money to go after it.

The other thing is theres people that are just as passionate if not more passionate about a modern series as others are about more classic series.

14. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I would never allow myself to spend that much money on collectible coins. I know they're not supposed to be an investment (which I find arguable; you should never make irresponsible purchases, no matter how much you like something), but if I'm spending that much money on something, I'm going to treat it like an investment. The returns on collectible coins are only so-so overall, so I would avoid all of them. Your hobby shouldn't ruin you. Those who have loads upon loads of disposable income that they don't mind potentially losing, well, they're in a different category.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted