Thoughts and Opinions on this 1921 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Quick iphone pics

Old ANACS slab.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Looks to have some cool toning. I'd say it's AU from the pics. If it were me, I'd buy it only for "my" price. I wouldn't pay any premium.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's beautiful with great eye appeal and toning. It looks MS but I don't look at many of these and am no expert.

5. BigTee44

Yea I believe many of these suffered from weak strikes.

I would want this to cross over into a NGC slab and just wondering if you think it'd simply grade the same since I can't actually "cross" it into a NGC slab.

I guess I'll just add the grade and see what the census is. image.jpg

6. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Lots of chatter in front of her face in the field. I don't see it going any higher than a 62, and I wouldn't pay to cross it over for fear of a critical 61. It's hard to see the details but it looks like they have that one about right since there's a lot of noticeable marks. The reverse is gorgeous though!

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't cross. My question is, does a PCGS or NGC slab make it worth enough over what it is worth in the current slab to justify the cost of doing it?

spirityoda and rzage like this.
  8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think it would cross too . That said I'd wait for a nicer strike without the spots . They're out there but it takes some looking , but in the end it's well worth it . That's just me though and I haven't always followed my own advice .

swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't cross, but I wouldn't expect it to upgrade much if at all. The 1921 is a different animal than most Peace dollars because of its high relief. These are known to suffer from weak strikes, but they are still graded on the criteria of a full strike (similar to the strike of the proof issue). High grade examples are few and far between because of this.

medjoy likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I was going to guess MS62. Strike is typical and it has marks, but you have some nice toning and probably nice luster. I would only submit this if it were part of a larger submission, since a 1-coin submission will cost you dearly when you figure round-trip shipping.

11. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

The weak strike, resulting in the flatness and lack of definition in the hair over and around the ear, is distracting.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yet quite common for the '21.........

rzage and mikenoodle like this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I see NO advantage to crossing it. It is an attractive coin, appropriately graded. Why crack it out-- it might not cross. The coin is attractive, with tons of eye appeal. However, no guarantee on a cross- so why bother????

miedbe7 likes this.
  14. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Agree and unfortunately so. Here's my very similar NGC 62
    Peace 21 MS62.jpg

15. BigTee44

NGC type set.

I might just get a pcgs membership just to be able to cross my anacs coins.

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would leave it in the ANACS slab.

17. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Things sure have changed in what's considered "eye appeal". That toning (if that's what it is) in the field to the left of Liberty looks like scratches from a cleaning gone wrong. If it's toning, in the old days we'd dip it and pray it would re-tone better next time around. I'd pass on that coin, if you haven't already bought it.

Sorry to sound harsh, just my opinion there are plenty of better ones out there.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  18. rzage

Here's a Detailed AU piece , Heritage has some better struck 65s . I just wanted to show you can find some with better strikes in AU up .
    [​IMG]

19. rzage

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

But peril the details slab Rusty. Most of us shy away........:)

medjoy likes this.
  21. rzage

And rightly so in a lot of reasons , though I was just using it as and example of a better struck coin , especially the reverse .

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted