Thought On This Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gregg, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Well 1921 AU. Is overpriced. Dont you want to buy that? NOT ME.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

@Robert91791 You’re killing me man!

Please distinguish between your unwillingness to buy or inabilty to afford a coin and that coin being overpriced.

Those are two VERY different things.

4. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

It could just be an opinion thing.
    I think every Morgan is overpriced. :D

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't know what you are talking about. Stop with the false information. You can't buy key date coins at junk prices. It's fine if you only want junk but don't tell others that key dates are only worth the same as junk. That just as wrong as you can get.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't know what you are talking about. Stop with the false information. You can't buy key date coins at junk prices. It's fine if you only want junk but don't tell others that key dates are only worth the same as junk. That just as wrong as you can get.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Gregg and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you East Side of the nation are doing. This multiple post thing is driving me to buy a coin. I have been on a Hiatus, 1 coin in 5 months, I only fell of the wagon once. But it was a good feeling.
    Here is my AU. IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG

9. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

That AU is garbage.
    You should sell it to me for $31.00

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Sorry, but an AU or MS 1921 Peace dollar is not worth near $31. It is definitely a key date lower-mintage coin and therefore justifiably has higher value.

11. Pickin and Grinin

If I only would. :blackalien:
    Educate yourselves on what you are buying, search do more research, and then do some more. Educate yourselves. Your buy will be more rewarding.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Gregg likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If I could buy it for $100 I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would have no problem getting $150 for it.

Gregg likes this.
  13. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

The part that irritates me about eBay is the 'Make Offer' feature.
    When I make an offer I offer the correct price for a coin.

To accept more would be as immoral as accepting less.
    I just offered you the right price - the objectively correct price.
    The sellers shouldn't even have a counter-offer button.

They just embarrass themselves with it.

Robert91791 likes this.
  14. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Instead of educating myself I'd rather buy coins off the highly educated who then turn around and sell them to be at obscene discounts. Help a bro out here?

15. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Pickin'
    I like the tone of that AU58.
    I used to not like that gold-dusty look but it has been growing on me.
    It lends authenticity to the coin, IMHO.

-Gregg

16. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

That is why I dont buy anything from ebay. They suck

17. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I just checked my Peace Dollar spreadsheet... $91.37 is what I paid in 2015. Not as nice as the one pictured in post #2 above. Would gladly pay $100 for another one like it, though.

18. Pickin and Grinin

Apmex and other sites suck. Why would you want to buy a coin, sight unseen. At least with ebay you get to see what you are buying.
    Apmex sells "BU's" for more than PCGS and NGC slabbed examples, at auction. And there is no guarantee that they are uncirculated.

TheFinn and LA_Geezer like this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

at least it's authentic.
    you have to learn how to spot the fakes on eBay.

I wish all dealers would sell coins at or below what they bought them for. It would make it more affordable for everyone.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

I agree but if you are buying low end peace dollars. If I couldn't see the coin in hand. Buying a slabbed example from ebay is gonna be your best bet, Authenticity is already guaranteed.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  21. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Let me add, though, that some of us who enjoy collecting choose to place limits on the prices we are willing to pay. I'm not quite sure what the most is that I have paid for any one coin, but I suppose that I've stretched the price I am willing to pay to around $200 in some instances. Yes, I suppose I could afford to pay thousands for a coin, and I have enjoyed looking at the photos of some of those beautiful IHCs I see here and there.

Generally, coins are not overpriced, although there are dealers who may overprice some of their listings. Realistically, these items usually go unsold while others priced more beneficially to buyers' ideals will sell like hotcakes. Robert's claim, I believe, is possibly due to the fact that English may not be his native language.

When I was a teenager, my father was assigned to the US Embassy in Paris. I often went to the coin and stamp shows that were held outdoors on Sundays. The Hitchcock movie, Charade, had a scene shot at that stamp/coin market. I was mainly a stamp collector at the time, but as I had access to US money for use in the military Post Exchanges in the area, I often had things like Walking Liberty Halves that got me great trades with some of the dealers. I remember trading two Washington Quarters for a complete set of the Monaco commemoratives of the Grace Kelly - Prince Rainier wedding in 1956, perfect, mint. Such a deal! That set wouldn't have been overpriced even if the dealer wanted my all of my Halves and Quarters.

TheFinn, Pickin and Grinin and DUNK 2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted