Thought On This Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gregg, Sep 16, 2018.

1. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Not a problem @Robert91791. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and to buy what you want to buy.

That said, what is your basis for the very broad statement that 1921 Peace Dollars are overpriced and overrated by grading companies? Please be specific in your response.

Two Dogs likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

As pointed out by @Idries Pappas, there is a huge difference between the 1921 and 1922 Peace Dollars. One is not so common, the other is.

Same is true for many coin types and the huge variation (your words) in prices across coin types.

Robert91791 likes this.
  4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous variation. Well I guess, that is not going to matter to people who has more money. Good for them if they can afford it. Id say if you have the money, just go for it.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@Robert91791 you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, the ANACS coin I believe is way overpriced. It has been over dipped and is slightly circulated in my opinion.
    A BU coin as you are talking is a peace dollar that would fit into the MS60 to MS64 category.
    And 1921 MS60 coins are sold regularly for 125$ to 150$. Hence it is impossible to find an uncirculated coin, for 31$.
    These are NOT overrated they are the key date of peace dollars,
    The low relief 22' thru 35' peace dollars do not even hold a candle to the High Relief design of the 21'

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It's not a ridiculous variation.
    First of all, it is a High Relief. Other than some super rare High and Medium Relief 1922 Peace Dollars. All the other ones are a normal relief.

You'll also see a price fluctuation with 1928 P (large $$$) and 1934 S (small $).

Apmex has BU 1921's for $360.00 raw. Which looking at the picture is over graded. Althought when they were stacked the high relief wore on each other.

upload_2018-9-16_15-24-2.png

LA_Geezer and Robert91791 like this.
  7. Robert91791

Yes. I was looking at them now. I wont buy them and I can live without them. Not too worry at all. Thank you

8. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

@Robert91791 You apparently missed the question I previously asked you, so I’ll post it again here. . .

What is your basis for the very broad statement that 1921 Peace Dollars are overpriced and overrated by grading companies?

Please be specific in your response.

Robert91791 likes this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

When you get to Morgan Dollars you'll find the same scenario.

Just check into all of the CC (Carson City) minted ones (and others)
    https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/dollars/morgan/

Robert91791 likes this.
  10. Robert91791

In my own opinion, regardless of mintage it is overpriced. I dont based that in any grading company. Based ony own economic status that is overpriced. Im sure if I have an extra several thousand dollars, I would have bought one. I hope this helps.

11. Robert91791

Yes you are right and as well as the rest of other collectors here. Well I will have to pass on them and will not buy them. I can live without them. There are other coins to buy that are BU Uncirculated that brings me enough joy and pride.

12. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Not being able to afford a coin is one thing, but making very broad generalizations that a coin is overpriced and overgraded is something very different.

I understand that many collectors can’t afford key date coins. I don’t understand your broad generalization.

Robert91791 likes this.
  13. Robert91791

You dont have to and i dont expext you or anyone. Its my own perspective. I dont intend to offend anyone. Just my own position.

14. Robert91791

Key dates does'nt anything to me. As I have said, I only collect BU Uncirculated that I can afford. Sorry I probably didnt explained it well. Im not keen on finishing the whole year collection at all. Im just happy and content to be able to have to afford certain years and certain collection. That is all.

15. Robert91791

Yes I saw one for $500. I can buy Two by Jan for my bonus but i will not buy one.

16. Pickin and Grinin

@Robert91791 It really isn't about offending anyone, it is more about the history behind the coin. I hope that you take the time to reread some of the response's, Folks are just trying to help you.
    Phil

17. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

18. Pickin and Grinin

That's an old ANACS the coin was in a flip. And I think stapled to the cert. I know where a few of these are (Morgans) he wants to much of a premium. But, still not as much as what that guy is asking.
    @DDDD or @Burton Strauss III would know more about these.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You buy as many of those for $40, and I'll pay you $100!

Pickin and Grinin and DUNK 2 like this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This is a 1921 Peace Dollar, not a 1922-25. In AU they are $100 coin.

Robert91791 likes this.
  21. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I’d take that deal, but @Robert91791 didn’t come through! o_O

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted