Thought I'd share some new Mexican Silver pickups with you :)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Dec 16, 2014.

1. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

A few more favorites. Steve nmf.JPG nmb.JPG

Siberian Man and J.A.K. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Peso literally means weight. I don't know the exact derivation, but I'd imagine it has to do with the weight of silver. Escudo means shield in Spanish and probably the same in Portuguese. And I'd never thought about it, but Brazil used "reis" until the 1940s, and I'd bet that means something to do with the king too, since Spanish for king is "rey."

treylxapi47 likes this.
  4. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Good info. It's a very interesting topic and one I haven't ever given much thought towards.

So I wonder since Escudo was a step up from Reale, and Escudo means shield, if the thought was to correlate the term to Royal Shield?

5. treylxapi47

Does anyone know if Don and Lois' new books covers some etymology and various origins of terms.

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

The Real coinage system in Mexico was introduced during Spanish rule during the early 1500s. The real was originally a medieval Italian gold coin. Gold coinage was based on the Gold escudos. The ½ escudos was equal to the silver 8 Reales. At the time gold and silver exchanged at a 16 to 1 ratio. In 1857 Mexico decided to convert to the decimal system to be aligned with the monetary system in Europe. At that time even Spain was using the decimal system. They began production in 1863. It’s interesting to note that 1857 was the same year the United States began recalling all of the Mexican coinage in circulation. I am sure that also had some influence. For a short time both Reals and decimal coinage circulated in Mexico. However the balance scale Peso was slightly smaller than the 8 reales which caused a problem with the trade with China. China rejected the smaller Peso even thought the value was the same. Mexico’s answer was to simple issue the peso with “8R” stamped on the coin. In 1905 Mexico again revised their monetary system due the the devaluation of Silver and the fact that Gold was not circulating. Sizes of the coins were reduced and the alloys and fineness changed. Many changes have been made since then resulting in the fineness getting smaller and smaller until finally non-existent. Mexico’s monetary history is one I find fascinating and I have expanded my collection greatly in this area.

I did a presentation last year on the Monetary Reform of 1905. It can be viewed here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/estados-unidos-mexicanos-a-history-of-modern-coinage.249575/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  7. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I know these aren't silver, but this seems like a good thread to showcase some Mexican coinage. Silver will follow after a bit.

Attached Files:

• ME4.jpg
      ME4.jpg
      File size:
      128.5 KB
      Views:
    • ME5.jpg
      ME5.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
    • ME6.jpg
      ME6.jpg
      File size:
      103.6 KB
      Views:
  8. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

A few more 5 centavos. ME7.jpg ME8.jpg ME9.jpg ME10.jpg ME11.jpg

sonlarson and 49ers like this.
  9. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Here comes some silver. (about time right) ME12.jpg ME13.jpg ME14.jpg ME15.jpg ME16.jpg ME17.jpg

sonlarson and 49ers like this.
  10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Onward and upward with the 20 centavos. ME18.jpg ME19.jpg ME20.jpg ME21.jpg ME22.jpg ME23.jpg

11. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

These are some amazing Mexican coinage you have there. Of all your Mexican coinage, which all are beautiful, I love the 1947-1948 Cinco Peso (Cuauhtémoc) silver coins. This coin (Cuauhtemoc):

Specifications

Composition: Silver
    Fineness: 0.9000
    Weight: 30.0000g
    ASW: 0.8680oz
    Melt Value: $14.21 (4/13/2015)
    Diameter: 40mm

has more ASW that our beloved Morgan Dollar:

Mint: Philadelphia
    Mintage: 44,690,000
    Catalog: KM-110
    Composition: Silver
    Fineness: 0.9000
    Weight: 26.7300g
    ASW: 0.7734oz
    Melt Value: $12.65 (4/13/2015)
    Diameter: 38.1mm

There were only minted for two years (1947/1948) with the '47 have a MUCH lower mintage that the latter. The design is absolutely amazing and I have literally 100's of these coins. Another coin I hoped to see is the 1949 Case de Mondea Un Peso with the balance scale. These coins too very during a very violent time in Mexican history. Thanks for stirring up memories of one of my all time favorite coins I own. :joyful:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    stldanceartist likes this.
  12. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Here are some I picked up a couple weeks ago. The photos are going to need to be reshot when I get a chance (my apologies.)

Mexico - 1997 Twentieth Ounce Silver Onza.jpg

Mexico - 1997 Tenth Ounce Silver Onza.jpg

Mexico - 1997 Quarter Ounce Silver Onza.jpg

J.A.K. and sonlarson like this.
  13. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

simple coins/rounds/medals but hard to find at quality and price and raw! AnoHidalgo.jpg Screenshot (56).jpg closeUp.jpg Screenshot (147).jpg Screenshot (148).jpg UnPeso64.jpg Batalla1862Medal.jpg

J.A.K. and sonlarson like this.
  14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Very nice coins here. I never knew there were PL 10% Ag pesos. I'll have to look into that. I just bought this 8 reals for 102 dollars, free shipping. Wouldn't you say that's a good price, considering it's graded too? It's the most I spent for one coin actually, but was possible by paying over 6 months via paypal credit. image.jpg

Silverino likes this.
  15. Silverino

Did some cleaning on two of the coin and medal pictured above. The medal had some tarnish on the reverse, upper part oh Eagle's wing. Used tin foil-baking soda-hot water then into vinegar and pat dry with paper towel. The results turned out marvelous.
    The 1964 Un Peso had toning on edge and PVC damage on high contact areas, lettering and ribbon, reef, ect. Used the technique above and was satisfied with results. Used the Q-tip with Peroxide, in a rolling motion on the PVC damage areas. About a 40% result. Is there another solution for PVC damage? Lemon juice?
    On Oxidation, is there a cure for Uncirculated Silver Coins?
    Thanks DSCN1145.JPG DSCN1146.JPG DSCN1147.JPG DSCN1148.JPG

Jason Hoffpauir and Siberian Man like this.
  16. treylxapi47

I believe acetone works well on PVC

Silverino likes this.
  17. sonlarson

I would have not used anything other than acetone and rinse in distilled water. You can purchase a BU 1964 Peso for less than $5.

18. Silverino

Bought mine with shipping for $4.51. Let me tell you, finding a BU 1964, without bag marks, dings, and minor scratches is harder than you imply, at $5 and not slabbed.

19. sonlarson

Silverino and treylxapi47 like this.
  20. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I love your 1862 Cinco de Mayo coin. Might I ask how much that put you back? If not np no worries. Thanks for sharing. :joyful:

21. Silverino

NP. Paid $23.95+$4.95 from Jalisco, Mexico. Bellacoin from EBay.

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted