Thought I'd share some new Mexican Silver pickups with you :)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The best Mexican collection in the whole world!

stldanceartist likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I have to admit, this is a nice silver cache. Viva Mexico!

stldanceartist likes this.
  4. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

If interested, about half way of reaching my goal in Mexican Silver. Next is Mexican gold. Happy 2015 everyone.

mlov43 likes this.
  5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Those large diameter 5 oz proof "plato puras" are pretty sweet.

Silverino likes this.
  6. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

Here's the 1923 :)
    PICT3376.JPG

7. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

I love my Mexican silver. Sometimes I really should stop myself, but when I find it cheap enough especially right now, I simply can't help myself. Collection includes 100 pesos 1977-1979, Chubby Onzas, Libertads, Balance Scale Onzas, Olympic 25 Pesos, Cuauhtemoc 5 Pesos, 10 Pesos Crowns from 1955-1956. Cap and Ray Pesos. Thats is just my bullion type stuff. Then I have a few Caballito Pesos, 2 Pesos 1921, Railroad 1950 5 pesos. 5,10,20 & 50 Centavos in Silver. If I ever get the time, I will have to take pictures. 1954 5 pesos I believe is a coin that is way undervalued. So yes, my name is Joe, and I have a Mexican silver addiction. PICT3377.JPG

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I wish I could find some 1954 5 Pesos for my collection...

9. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

Go
    I have one raw xf and one ms63 by NGC.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great looking silver up there. Here's my one and only Cuauhtemoc Cinco. mexican.gif !B(NlzvQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl1kKDBKbKpUHss!~~_35.jpg !B(Nl+IQCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLlzSkuBKbKpwCdy!~~_35.jpg

11. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

That's a pretty one. Definitely one of my favorites.

12. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Nice collection. I confess I am also enamored of Mexican silver (nothing against gold either, except its price). Here is an 8 reales from 1761. MX8Reales1761Mosmall.jpg

sonlarson, Hiddendragon and Silverino like this.
  13. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Here's the peso follow-up to the 1896 8 reales, after they decided a republic really shouldn't be issuing "reales". MX1Peso1898GoLibertad_1200x614.jpg

sonlarson likes this.
  14. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

And here is a 1960 10-peso independence commemorative. MX10Pesos1960FF.jpg

sonlarson and Silverino like this.
  15. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

I got this one just because its pretty... MX1oz1980CasadeMoneda.jpg

sonlarson and Silverino like this.
  16. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Can you elaborate further for us that don't have a full understanding of Mexican coinage history?

Why was the term 'reale' frowned upon after the republic?

I think the forthcoming information would be quite interesting and educational.

17. Pere

Pere Active Member

Well, it means royal, right. And the early ones were issued in the name of the King of Spain's dominion over the New World colonies.

18. treylxapi47

Well I for one am unfamiliar with most of that terminology other than seeing it on the coins, and I collect a few Mexican pieces (Un Pesos from the late teens through the 40s).

Its like a Peso, whats a Peso? I dont know the etymology of the word, as I am sure most folks dont either. Heck, I didnt even know where the word dollar originated from for most of my life. Which is kind of my point.

So you did a good job educating me, I now know reale was a form of Royal, and after breaking away from the King's dominion the new republic thought they should embrace a new coinage to mark such a drastic change in how their country operated.

Is there a similar story behind the Escudo?

19. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I collect Whitman albums from the 60s. This is the Mexico Type Set and a few of the coins. ME9524.JPG ME1.jpg ME2.jpg ME3.jpg

20. treylxapi47

21. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Here's some nice Mexican coins. Enjoy, Steve om2.JPG om1.JPG

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted