Thoth or Hermes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jul 29, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

When I saw the Murex shell on reverse of this coin, I thought that the bird on left field is Phoenix. I mean both Phoenicians. But it turned not out! The bird is Ibis, an ancient Egyptian myth associated with luck and fortune. A feather could bring luck, they said. The standing man is likely to be Thoth who was believed under the Pharaohs to be the god of wisdom and also of "writing". Thus, he's holding a roll of papyrus with his right hand, suggesting it's the Hieroglyphs. He's also holding Caduceus with his left hand. His Greek counterpart was Hermes. I wonder whether the Phoenicians had a similar counterpart since they invented the Alphabet ! The coin was struck in Tyre under Volusian and it weighs 10.85 g. Thanks for your friendly comments.

Volusian.JPG VolusTyr R.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin. One of the popular deities at the time (3rd century) was Hermes Trismegistus, or Thrice-Holy-Hermes. Hermetic writings survive to this day, often penned in the style of the sayings of a father to his son, or master to pupil. It was common in Egypt and the Near East and indeed, as you say, descended from the god Thoth of the Egyptians. I've read one of the books, The Divine Pymander...link below:

https://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/pym/index.htm

That said, I am uncertain as to whether your coin depicts Hermes or Hermes Trismegistus.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    7Calbrey and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted