This Year's PGD

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lincolncent, Oct 29, 2011.

1. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

This Year's Post Garden Damage

So guys, I just finished up this year's coin pumpkin. It's not nearly as good as last years but I wanted a challenge and, well, I got one. After an hour of cleaning it out and tracing the design onto it, and four hours of careful carving, here's this years masterpiece: the reverse of a Mercury Dime. I could not for the life of me figure out a way to get the intricate details into it, but I hope you enjoy it. :) I will try to get some better pics up tomorrow when I can get it outside in different lighting. :)

044.jpg

Happy Halloween everybody! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Gotta give ya credit, that's one heck of a lot of work !

I don't think 1 person in a thousand will ever recognize it, but Boy Howdy you sure are dedicated !

4. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

Digging it! Good work, man.

With a Dremel, using a very small bit, carve varying depths into the rind, without going all the way through. The deeper you carve, the lighter that area will appear when lit from inside. The shallower the darker. :)

5. lincolncent

Dang I wish I was that artistically talented. haha
    Art isn't my best subject and if I tried that it would probably come out looking worse haha. :)

Although, this pumpkin would have worked great for that because it was insanely thick. Every pumpkin I carved this year was really really thick.

6. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

It's easier than you think :) Just go slow, and practice on some cheap small throwaway pumpkins to learn the touch. :)

It's also helpful to draw or shade on the pumpkin before hand...or even print out an "actual size" drawing or image of your design, and tape it to the pumpkin. Then you can kinda say "ok...white is not carved, black is carved completely out, and everything in between is various depths...the darker the deeper." :)

As a favorite author of mine with whom you're apparently familiar said...

"Pick a nice day and try it." ;)

7. lincolncent

I already tape the design to it. That's the only way I can get everything in the right places. And I just may sit down and try one next week or so. Pick up some marked down ones now that Halloween is over.

And yes, quite familiar. :)

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cool, the exact same way they carve emu eggs then, huh? Those eggs are darkest at the surface, but progressively lighter the deeper you go.

Chris

10. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Here is the one I made in about 4 hours.
    127_7489.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted