This worth it ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jesse97, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Jesse97

Jesse97 New Member

Going through ebay and found this .
    Bids low & was wondering if its worth it and whats the max i should bid up to im new-ish to collecting and dont want to spend too much . And sorry if this is a waist of time just feel like i should ask before i impulsively buy thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. I looked on eBay at the listing you posted. I didn't see any high grade or key coins. All the silver coins are probably only worth their melt value and the Lincoln cents worth a few cents each. (Most would be called "junk coins"). If he has over 200 silver dimes, the melt value alone for them, as of today, Nov. 4th, is $260.00 (The max I would bid is around $150). I highly doubt the final bid will be under $200.
    I can't advise you as to whether you should buy them or not. It all depends on what you choose to focus on.
    Wait for other members to give you better advice than I can.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

What kind of dimes are they? US, Canadian, some other?

Currently, the melt value for a 90% Silver US Dime is $1.30.

The description says "250 + Silver Dimes".

Do the math : 250 silver dimes @ $1.30 ea. = $325.00, plus he says "and others" and it looks like 3 collecting albums.

That's an awful lot of value for only a starting bid of $50 + $20 shipping.

I scour eBay for bargains and don't find bargains like this.

Think of this : He could sell the silver to a scrapper for much more money than that, and with much, much less hassle, and no eBay fees.

Lesson # 1 : When a deal seems too good to be true, it almost always is.....too good to be true.

Lesson # 2 : Look at this guy's feedback : It's ZERO. He's either a complete eBay newbie with no selling experience,..... or ......he's an experienced con man with lots of experience, trying to hook a "sucker fish". He may be the latter, trying to make someone think he's the former.

For my money, I WOULD NOT touch it.

Now, with that said, I'm not on eBay looking at this, nor am I on eBay able to ask this guy questions or research him or this deal.

You could check his " previous eBay IDs ". Multiple previous IDs is a possible sign of problems with a seller.

Wait and talk to other members before you pull the trigger on this one. You just might be shooting yourself in the foot.

Good Luck.

@paddyman98
    @PaddyB
    @Paddy54
    @JCro57
    @lordmarcovan
    @PlanoSteve
    @SteveInTampa

5. Hookman

Hi Thom. I need to make a list, or lists, of which members are good with which coins and with which kind of advice.
    That way I can call on the best people when trying to help answer questions.
    I started to say " help newbies " but Jesse97 isn't a newbie. He's been a member since 2016.

Thom, I've noticed that you're very good with general advice, but is there any coin(s) or series that you're especially good at?

As for myself, I'm just a silver collector. No special anything.

6. thomas mozzillo

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Hookman likes this.
  7. thomas mozzillo

Hookman likes this.
  8. Hookman

It looks like you wrote your reply inside the brackets.
    When you quote someone , it's all in the reply box until you hit the reply button.
    You'll notice the quote starts with a bracket ( [ ) then the capitalized word
    " QUOTE ". Then the quote ends with the same thing but reversed " QUOTE] "

If you write your reply anywhere within those two brackets, it ends up as part of the quote.
    Don't worry about it. It happens to other people also.
    Whenever I quote someone, just to be safe, I skip a couple of lines down before I start typing my reply.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I don't know if this guy is for real or not. Hundreds of dollars in value for a comparatively low starting price. If no one else bids, someone gets one heck of a deal. That idea may be what the seller is counting on to get a bidder or bidders. Once this is won, and the winning bid is paid, how can anyone be sure the goods will be sent?
    I know this, there are two phrases that always give me pause : "....given to me by a family member." and " I am not a coin person. ".
    To me, those are scammer phrases that are meant to put potential bidders at ease, as if to say " Hey, I'm just a goober who don't know nothing so come on over and take advantage of my ignorance. ".

This whole deal reminds me of an Etsy deal.

I'm not saying Yay or Nay. I'm just saying it's not for me.

9. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

This is really too American for my experience, but since I was tagged, I'll throw in my thoughts:
    The usual con with this sort of listing is to use the word "silver" loosely - ie covering a load of later cupro-nickel white metal coins. From the pictures I don't think he has done this - the majority do seem to be silver.
    The cruder con is if he has no intention of sending out anything at all, or something entirely unrelated to the pictures. In most cases you would be protected under Ebay and Paypal terms. He would have to be pretty canny to get money out of Paypal before at least 14 days after payment as he is a new seller, so a straight paypal refund would apply.
    Finally the ID does appear to be genuinely new - set up 2nd November 2019 and the only change appears to be a correction on the userid made the same day.

None of this guarantees the deal is good, but I would say worth a gamble if $50 (or more likely $200+) is not going to break your heart if it goes missing.

Of course, all this chat here probably means he has 200 watchers all waiting to snipe bids in the last few seconds and so it will no longer be a bargain!

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm just going to watch the item. Let's see how much it ends up being. Sounds like a person with no knowledge of coins and value but I would be careful also.

Hookman likes this.
  11. Hookman

I'm not bidding on it. Another member asked for advice, so I wouldn't take it from him, no matter what it went for.

12. Jesse97

Jesse97 New Member

I am actually am a newbie i joined in 2016 but this is the first time i been back since i joined because i found a 1864 cent in a old house i wost remodeling it was under the fireplace looking brand new but had c cut / indent on the face i lost the coin but fell in love with coins and ya ill take eveyones advice ill probably go 150$ and see what happens ps. Sorry for bad grammar

Hookman likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Just a low starting bid and the auction has 7 days to run. I'm sure it will end much higher.

What I don't understand is why everyone seems to be so worked up about the low starting bid. We see that ALL the time on coins How many times do we see Unc Morgans or even gold coins started with 99 cent starting bids. It is a common tactic to start with a very low starting bid and hoping to get a lot of watchers and a runaway ending that pushes it up to market value or higher.

longshot and Hookman like this.
  14. Hookman

Hi , I scour eBay for bargains and, in particular, I look for quality merchandise, with low starting bids, and with free, low cost, or at least reasonable shipping costs, and to be honest with you, I just don't find that many " Unc Morgans or even gold coins " with only low starting bids. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons of possible sellers.

BTW, I do understand sales tactics. After I retired from the engineering world, to stay busy, I went into the retail world. Though I'm only part time, I have set sales records many times, for over nine years.
    I combine honesty and sincerity with a good deal to make my sales.

15. thomas mozzillo

Thank you for the reply. I'm not going to bid on it but put it on my watch list to see the winning bid.

Hookman likes this.
  16. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Worth it? It depends. If @Jesse97 is just hoping to score a bargain on a pile of very worn bullion-value silver, then maybe. But if you're looking for coins with collector interest and value, I think you'll be disappointed. Also, lack of credentials for the seller would make me skeptical enough to stay away.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just watch the item. You can't bid or buy everything that comes along.

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted