This week's UNIQUE ERROR COIN FINDS

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jewels2017, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

This week ladies and gentlemen to my amaze and surprised I stumbled across not one but two very unique 2017 Effigy Washington Quarters with very unique and rare errors that I think many will be able to appreciate and love as much as I do ... And so Ive decided to share it with you guys . And please feel free to share your thoughts . IMG_20170819_002011.jpg IMG_20170819_002247.jpg IMG_20170819_002331.jpg IMG_20170819_003050.jpg IMG_20170819_003112.jpg

jay4202472000 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I wouldn't call them "rare" but nice finds, heres one I found two weeks back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

That is a nice find Blackbeard ... And hey . Thanks to your cool coin I think that I just may have unraveled another cool mystery on my coin ... If you look closely at the second largest tree on the bottom right at the very top of the tree there seems to be a doubled tree top can you see it ?
    IMG_20170819_003225.jpg IMG_20170819_003203.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  5. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Either this coin has an insane amount of errors or this probably has some nice Doubled die issues what do you think ?

6. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Oh and by the way here's the other really cool one I found ... At first I was about to just write it off as a PMD because I thought something struck the lip which sealed Washingtons mouth together ... But then I couldnt help but notice that that couldn't be possible since the entire mouth is gapped wide open and deformed like he was talking too much and someone had to seal his mouth closed . Lol
    IMG_20170808_221307.jpg IMG_20170808_221323.jpg

7. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Holy smokes ... There's even a lot more then I thought going on with this coin this is crazy ... IMG_20170819_023523.jpg

8. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

That looks like a vampire lol

9. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Lmbo . That's exactly what I said when I first saw it . Its a Vampire fang

10. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

And so what do you think about that coin that has the 5 errors on it Tyler . The Dracula coin is separate from all the other pictures ... So is this just the product Doubled die issues or Mint Errors with cool Die chips ?

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Die chips aren't errors.....and all you have here is die chips. No errors.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  12. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Hmmm . So Paddy54 . Are youre saying that even the Doubled tree trunk at the bottom of the small tree and the Doubled tree top that is located at the very top of the second big tree are die chips too ?

13. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

I can certainly agree with you that the intials have a die chip covering them and there is also something that is in-between the numbers 0-1 on the date but there is certainly doubling on those trees that mimic the shape of the tree trunk and the tree top ...

Screenshot_20170819-085236.png

14. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

The "doubled tree top" is most certainly, as Paddy stated, a die chip. On newer coins, since the mint implemented the single squeeze hubbing process, you won't see many doubled dies with doubling on the devices around the perimeter of the coin. Of corse there are exceptions to this rule like http://varietyvista.com/01e LC Doubled Dies Vol 5/2015PDDO001 cent.htm but not many. The reason is in the name of the newer die making process. In single squeeze hubbing, they try to do just that, squeeze the hub into the die just once. The majority, if not all, of your America the Beautiful doubled dies have centrally located doubling. I.E doubled ears on the obverse & doubled windows on the Homestead reverses. They are created when the die and hub are starting to be squeezed and have just made a slight initial contact. The mint notices something is off & backs off the pressure. The mistake is corrected and the process is completed. That initial "kiss" of the die and hub leaves an impression of a very small portion on the design before the full squeeze is done. I hope this helps you.

Oh, and the "vampire" quarter is a contact mark from the reeding of another quarter. Just damage.

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm saying you got nada," but die chips, "I'm also going to add you may wish to buy a book, do some research, learn what real errors are ,and the how's, and why they become an error.
    This isn't the first time you have come in the forum spouting about an new "Fantastic Find" and it's nothing !
    If you are truly interested in errors and this hobby you need to read before you "LEAP"!

16. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well that's all fine and dandy Paddy54 and jay420 . But I'm 100% certain that we all can see here that the alleged contact mark as you called it simply could not justify the deformed shaped mouth that is underneath the vampire fang unless you're saying that there was multiple contact hits in the exact same location of his mouth ???? Also die chips simply can not create the Doubled tree trunk that is shown in the photos on the small tree and it doesn't take reading nor an expert to see that Paddy54 . But hey guys ... if die chips is the only thing that you're actually seeing then Paddy54 instead of getting all excited at the possibility of me being wrong and convincing yourself that " everything " in the photos are simply die chips ... you should certainly take your own advice along with the smart comments and keep reading those books my friend . oh and no matter what anyone ever tells you ... dont ever quit your day job . Lol

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The gaping mouth is very likely PMD. The raised areas at the top and right of each gouge are displaced metal and could only occur if the coin was hit with something.

BTW: Nice close up pics that make it easy to see the displaced metal

18. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I spent all that time trying to explain some things and this is what you come back with? I don't even see a die chip at that tree trunk, just the normal design. Either way, I'm done with you fella. Good luck in your snipe hunt!
    image.jpeg

Johndoe2000$, Paddy54 and eddiespin like this.
  19. Paul Otts

Paul Otts Member

I would like to encourage knowledgeable collectors to dampen their arrogance and appreciate the passion of other collectors. Even when they are consistently talking about things for which they have little knowledge, they are still exhibiting the passion this hobby needs to survive. Otherwise, this hobby will die for lack of interest.

Jewels2017 likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What did the math teacher say to the vampire? "Can't you Count, Dracula?"
    You're looking too intensely, @Jewels2017. Lighten up before you go completely insane...

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When passion verges on delusion, we don't need it.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted