This Week In History from Vcoins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, May 20, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

May 22nd, 337: Constantine the Great dies at Ankyrona. When Constantine died, he had already converted to Christianity. He had been baptized by Arian bishop Eusebius of Nicomedia a few days before. Ironically, the pagan senate officially deified him on his death. He was buried in the Church of the Holy Apostles at Constantinople.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    May 22nd, 1629:The Treaty of Lübeck was signed by Christian IV of Denmark and Albrecht von Wallenstein. The Treaty was signed in Lübeck by Christian IV of Denmark and Albrecht von Wallenstein on May 22nd, and by Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, on June 7th; and ended the Danish intervention in the Thirty Years’ War that had begun in 1625. It restored to Denmark her pre-war territory and obliged Christian IV to cede his claims to Lower Saxon bishoprics, to discontinue his alliances with the North German states, and to not interfere with imperial affairs in the future. Although this treaty ended a stage of the war, this war continued until 1648.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    May 25th, 218: Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, issues the Edict of Worms The Edict was issued to ban the writings of Martin Luther. Charles V declared Luther was a heretic and an enemy of the Church and of the state. The Edict reads: “As far as the said Martin is concerned, if he would not admit that he was wrong and repent, (…), he would be declared disobedient, child of iniquity, and heretic. As such, he would have to be arrested”. It was the culmination of an ongoing struggle between Martin Luther and the Catholic Church.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's my two favorite related coins...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem