This Week In History from Vcoins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, May 6, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

May 7th, 558 Justinian I orders that the dome of the Hagia Sophia be rebuilt immediately after it collapses. Hagia Sophia was rebuilt and redesigned by Justinian in 532, after it had been destroyed by fire. The construction was inaugurated on December 27th, 537, when it is said Justinian exclaimed “I have beaten you, Solomon”, thinking of the Temple Solomon had built. On May 7th, 558 an earthquake destroyed the ambon, altar and ciborium, as well as the main dome. The emperor ordered an immediate restoration, which was completed in 562 and gave the Temple its actual form.

May 8th, 1450 Jack Cade's Rebellion against King Henry VI began. Cade was an ex-soldier who rebelled against the policies of Henry VI. The majority of the participants were peasants and small landowners from Kent, who objected to forced labor, corrupt courts, and heavy taxations, amongst others. They managed to enter London after defeating a government force, but their violent behavior turned citizens against them. After the revolt, King Henry VI issued a pardon to most of the mob, including Cade, but he was later arrested and killed by the Sheriff of Kent.

May 11th, 330 Constantine the Great officially dedicates his newly founded city of Constantinople Constantine transferred his capital city from Rome to a city on the East, Byzantium, soon after he defeated Licinius. This city was later renamed Constantinople, and remained as the capital of the Byzantine Empire until its fall, in 1453.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Justianian I

... man, I love this coin!!

byza.jpg byzb.jpg

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Constantine I (The Great) ... with "doors" (this coin is "not" spectacular, according to Windchild)

;)

constantine I rocks a.jpg constantine I rocks b.jpg

5. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Nice ones stevex6!

6. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I think you forgot one word...

"as"

7. Bing

JUSTINIAN I AE Follis
    OBV: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    REV: Large M, star to left, cross above, star right, officina letter below, mintmark CON
    Struck at Constantinople, 527-65 AD
    10g, 28mm
    SB 160
    Justinian2 OBV.jpg Justinian2 REV.jpg

8. Bing

CONSTANTINOPOLIS COMMEMMORATIVE AE3/4
    OBV: CONSTANTINOPOLIS, laureate, helmeted & mantled bust left holding scepter
    REV: Victory standing left on foot of prow with sceptre and leaning on shield, •BSIS• in ex.
    Struck at Siscia, 334-5 AD
    2.39g, 17mm
    RIC 241
    Constantinopolis3 OBV.JPG Constantinopolis3 REV.jpg

9. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

10. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_4354.jpg IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    Justinian & Sopie
    2 Commemoratives during Constantines reigen.

Draft saved Draft deleted