This was a fad I hated back in the day.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Southernman189, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I bought one cheap to remind myself why good coins are getting more scarce Quarter cut out.jpg RECENTLY bought.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Lol, now I have to find my pet rock! It got loose in the wild, but you can tell it's special from the box!

petrock.jpg

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When I first saw them, I thought briefly that they were kind of clever -- until I saw what they look like from the other side. :yack:

MIGuy and Southernman189 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I Remember buying Herman survivor wookboots, having a Levi Jean jacket and Levi Jeans. That was the style of the bad boy in the late 70's-early 80's anyways.:cool: I didn't hate it, just mentioning it is all.

CoinJockey73, MIGuy and -jeffB like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

8. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I've seen these on flea-bay occasionally, not my cup of tea. I suppose as a charm for a necklace or something maybe it's appealing to some people.

The saddest part about what you just wrote is now you can walk into any walmart and buy Levi's jeans and herman survivor boots - the great companies of the past have largely sold out for quantity over quality.

Noah Worke and SensibleSal66 like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I speak from experience when I say a lot of time and skill was involved in doing those cut out coins. As a jewelry art form, they were very popular a while back, and brought the artisan a little profit. In this forum, they are of course despised for damaging a coin. Note: I only used Canadian coins for my art. No offense to Canada.

Eric the Red and MIGuy like this.
  11. MIGuy

How about the Silver half dollar rings? I got one of those in a big "junk" lot I bought, didn't even know it was there. I'm not a jewelry guy and I'd rather have the 1963 Franklin half, but it's not bad IMO. What do you all think of these?
    IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4227.JPG

12. Southernman189

I have seen a few of those and was told they was made of "China made" silver dollar and Half dollars so might not even be silver. ripped off AGAIN lol

13. MIGuy

Well it came with a lot of legitimate stuff and I bought it here, so who knows? It sounds like silver when I clink it, but I'm never going to bother having it tested, I didn't buy the lot for the extra junk like this. Makes more sense just to make them in a Chinese factory then to go to the trouble of mangling up a silver half dollar, but I'm obviously not in their target market.

14. Southernman189

I saw a guy here at the local Flea mkt with a hand cranking type machine (like the ones that make the elongated coins) he was making those rings out of coins.I had no interest so I breezed by. I did notice some state quarters so some was legit coins I am sure.

john65999 likes this.
  15. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I cringe when I see coin jewelry. I saw some of the coin jewelry pictured above at a gift shop in the Black Hills back in the mid 90s.

Also back in the mid 90s I had a computer science professor who would wear a belt buckle made out of Walking Liberty Half Dollars. Anyone who would desecrate a Walker like that is bad news in my book. Never liked him as a professor anyway, ask him a question and he'd answer it with a question and be a **** about it. I find that condescending.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think those are mint errors, no?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Made a tie tack out of an Indian Head Cent's head only.

18. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

at me Mum's dollhouse stire, ehe had miniature ones in a cage, a wooden cage, bout 1/2 inch by 1 inch big, used to sell em for 2,99, lol still have one somewhere

19. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Many Latvian expatriates immigrated to the USA in the early 1950s, bringing along silver 5 Lati coins as mementos - converting them to jewelry was a popular option. My father was a silver/goldsmith specializing in Latvian ethnic jewelry and I remember him sawing, filing, soldering and polishing those pieces for friends and customers. Here is a similar coin brooch:

sakta-5-lati_629.jpg

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I buy my art with cold hard cash, damage not included!

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

In the pre-1960 era, it was a standard "Lab" assignment for Jeweler's trainees, They would start with the quarter or half and finish up on the dime. Cutting around the lettering and devices perfectly was just barely passing. cutting out the inner parts of dimes and lettering/numbers ( you could drill a tiny hole so the blade would fit through). If it was done well , you would be employed. Jim

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted