This thing just sold for $500

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Camreno, Feb 15, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

These contemporary carvers had a table at FUN last month. I hope to see them at ANA Orlando.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Still obsessed, apparently.

PS:
    Here is my one and only (so far) carved "hobo" coin:
    [​IMG]

4. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

The examples posted by cbm9ball are by an artist named Alecksy Saburov. His work is simply amazing!

Blissskr likes this.
  5. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

The first group are the ones I am referring to.

6. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that noticed the description that said the original coin in question was made using a 1900 Morgan dollar?!??!

Cringe cringe. I can see using worn out buffs... but a Morgan?!?!?

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah, especially since they're sacred items of worship since they're made of [cue choir of angels] silver. /He crosses himself and genuflects at the mention of the holy substance. / :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Anymore, I find genuflecting to be too painful to get back up from.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

And I'm not even of that tribe.

10. BostonCoins

I see that, like myself, sarcasm is your secret power as well, eh? lol

I guess we all draw the line at some point on certain things. Perhaps some of you might balk at something like this being made out of a 1800's 5 dollar gold coin. I guess my 'line' was the Morgan.

mikenoodle likes this.
  11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So you did this by HAND and without the use of your precious computers and CNC? I've seen examples of your "handiwork" and am having a hard time believing that you actually "carved" this one as implied.

I'm no more jealous (or now "infatuated" since you edited your post) of you than I am some nameless schmo who scans the work of genuinely talented others, loads into photoshop, changes some tiny nothing, clicks print, and pretends they're some great "artist". After all, this is more akin to what you actually do than all the schmuckishly ridiculous comparisons to Andy Warhol, and simply because without the use of technology and machinery, your copies wouldn't exist.

Now that I have your attention, perhaps you'll finally answer a question originally asked (and ignored) weeks ago: did the Treasury Department ever release that statement declaring that no 64 Morgans exist or will ever be made? Being as you openly stated that you "would certainly wait until more information comes out" and that this is what would clear the way for you to copy and make your own, I can only assume it was since you obviously jumped on the opportunity to do just that. Unfortunately, I cannot find such a statement and am hoping you'll share it for all to see.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, since might have less regard for Morgans specifically than about 995 out of every 1000 coin guys, maybe my normal line doesn't count. But somehow, people paint ASE's with remarkable regularity and nobody seems to care.

13. BostonCoins

That's a fair statement. I've seen those. Hideous. I see your point!

14. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

He needed more space to work ;)

15. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Very cool!

17. bobl310

bobl310 New Member

OK, some truly beautiful Hobos here. I especially like the 3 train related ones, I have admired some of these for years but, for me, the question still remains. How does one tell the difference between one carved in 1935 in a trainyard in Ohio from one made 10 years ago, possibly using modern technology. I do know there was a "king" of the Hobo nickel but can't remember his name at the moment.

dwhiz and Camreno like this.
  18. MaxV773

MaxV773 Member

19. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

You continue to prove my point.

Everybody uses tools of some sort. Some more sophisticated than others.
    News Flash: Not even the original 1913 Indian Head Buffalo Nickel was engraved by hand.

The Native American portrait that I showed is something that I sculpted from scratch, starting from a pencil drawing that I did.

Waiting for more information to come out about the 1964 Morgan Dollar involved getting access to better pictures of the master hubs.
    FYI: The US Treasury statement from 1973 states that the trial strikes were of the Peace Dollar design, not the Morgan design.

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My train related hobos are modern.

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

How about a moose hobo so far I've only found one
    Rocky and Bullwinkle #421 Hand Engraved Hobo Nickel by Luis A Ortiz 1-horz.jpg

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted