This Silver Eagle is different

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by longarm, Feb 12, 2016.

1. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Came across this Silver Eagle today and was wondering if anyone knows what caused this. 2010REV-1.JPG

Attached Files:

swamp yankee and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Aurora Borealis

I've seen similar wavy effects on SAE's produced by lighting, but other than that, I haven't the slightest idea!

Chris

4. longarm

I've never seen it before, it's out of a roll I just bought and there's 2 of them like that in there.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They finally found a way to mint a coin with the wind blowing. I have no idea what caused this but I do like the affect. It appears like some toning is on the coin in several places. I can't tell from the photos but it looks like something is between the A and M in American. I also see a mirror image of the eagles head to the right of the eagle. Is that a small black scuff mark on shield? Very nice looking. I'd keep them and check them out thoroughly. :)

6. longarm

Yeah, haha. It looks like dark toning on the shield. There are some others in the roll that look like they have toning on them also.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've seen it before and always chalked it up to wacky flow line activity.....

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's Super Flow Lines!

783fb4039.jpg

green18 likes this.
  9. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

maybe it might just be the sheen of the actual metal sometimes called luster?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think it is a difference in toning due to uneven evaporation/drying of rinse solution. You can bounce a laser off of it and see if it refracts rather than reflects.

Draft saved Draft deleted