this post is NOT "FOR HATERS"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Salvador Villalobos, Jan 3, 2021.

1. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

similarly Nickel for a 5 cent coin. These nicknames offend take over.

On an interesting side note the Royal Canadian Mint Trademarked "loonie" because it became so common

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Reminds me of Trevor Noah trying to educate everyone that it isn't zee-bra, but rather zeb-ra.

Stevearino and -jeffB like this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Stevearino ....it does get lonely at the “top”...and being right all the time...and being modest and humble...(smile).
    ...Spark

Kelly Capone and Stevearino like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Remember folks, in certain circles, "not agreeing" is equivalent to and tantamount to "hating. "

New world lexicon - redefine the meaning of words to intimidate, subjugate, and dominate . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

Z

Kelly Capone likes this.
  7. Spark1951

...except melt them. You can’t melt them legally.

But people destroy coins all the time, but the Feds won’t come after you for putting a penny on the railroad track...or into a souvenir elongated penny machine...Spark

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. Spark1951

...and I call anything pre-plated zinc a “cent” and after that I call it garbage...Spark

-jeffB and Kentucky like this.
  9. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I posted this in your other thread too...I know. Double post but just wanted to make sure it's seen...

@Salvador Villalobos
    My advice is simple...if you are walking into a room of people, some of whom you believe to know more than you, some "experts" even...

I would advise that you ask your question, with a clear photo and sit back and wait...
    Then take a look at the reference information the good people here offered with their answer.

No one is being a hater...but some are being snarky because they feel you are responding without first looking into your own question now that you have more info.

Would you walk into your doctor's office for your test results, have a question or two and then tell your doctor that he/she is wrong?

You came here seeking people who know more than you (or maybe initially you thought you might actually know as much, and that's ok!) but now...be humble and do the additional research you now have access to. There is A LOT to learn...even if you've been a serious collector for over 40 years like me, or MUCH longer like many of the beautiful souls here who just want to help and support you and everyone else interested in numismatics.

Know that VERY few collectors ever find "in the wild" the kind of things you are claiming to have... just some respect (and tact) for the people here will take you far!!! Notice that no one is being disrespectful and asking you to leave or anything like that :)

I offer you this advice with love in my heart...coin communities tend to support, help, and encourage each other like this...for many decades...all ages...
    Allow yourself to be completely shot down when your initial diagnosis of a coin is entirely wrong. THIS HAS HAPPENED TO US ALL, I PROMISE :)

10. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

NOT A WASTE OF MONEY IF THIS IS A "WANT"
    I have a dozen or so that i wish to slab for a variety.. have a 1927 $2.50 gold koin.. deep gash across cheek. think it would grade VF++ to possible lowest Xf.. Grandpa had 3 children, tried to give each one as close to their birth year. When dad passed on, mom passed it to me as oldest son.. I figure to have it graded because I wanna know as well as protection.. Got no kids, perhaps can find nephew/niece. Got 41 first cousins

Beefer518 likes this.
  11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Good advice, but unfortunately, we're all bots;

As for his research, I would guess he watches a lot (and i mean A LOT) of YT videos.

Keep in mind everyone, in his opinion, it's not about the condition of the coin, but the number of coins graded that makes a coin valuable (or is it the number minted, I can't tell for sure what he means):

So it seems he will be retiring young because he'll have 2 of the graded 1964-D LMC's,, and there's only going to be 65 once he gets his coins graded.

Sounds like a plan....

Plan 9 From Outer Space IMO

Kelly Capone and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

You have a valid reason for wanting your gold Coin graded - protecting a sentimental object. But this is nowhere near his reasoning.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Kelly Capone and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It is. Even the mint uses the term Penny. If something gets used long enough by enough people it becomes an acceptable term

Beefer518 likes this.
  14. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Do they have sentimental value? Otherwise it would pay you to just encapsulate them with some easy to order do-it-yourself slabs. If you don't want to do it yourself, you could purchase a Dansco album 7000, put all your wanted, desired coins in 2x2 flips, and then store them in the album. If you go that way, make sure you order a protective slipcase so that all your stored coins will be protected from the elements. eezy-peezy!

Kelly Capone likes this.
  15. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know anything about sending them in for grading. Saw something that caught my eye on the pic that had the '56 D in it, though. Couldn't tell if that was a die chip, bag mark or gouge under the U & S of Trust (am just getting into dabbling error coinage).

adelaide888 and Kelly Capone like this.
  16. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Dunno man, I think he has a bonafide ID10T error there . . .

Z

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You are correct, but artistic use of them or their pieces is legal , thus elongated cents, etc. melting for metal alone is not legal, but you can ,melt them down if you cast a statue with it. It is to eliminate bullion storage for exchange. Just the rules.
    Jim

Stevearino and Spark1951 like this.
  18. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

19. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

20. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

Just because the people on this site know more than you doesn't make them "coin hate you" I've seen several people try to help you. If you don't need or want assistance, don't post.

Kentucky, Stevearino and Spark1951 like this.
  21. adelaide888

adelaide888 Active Member

That's funny. There IS something there...

Draft saved Draft deleted