This one is a big find!! Rare 1926 mercury dime DDO-001 with split bands

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jjohnson3582506, Jun 28, 2019.

1. I bought this at a pawn shop this morning! Only 1 in existence and its a VG-10. Any ideas what route to take on this one. From what I have read this could be a hell of a payday. Anyone's help would be appreciated. I matched the front of the coin up with Wexler's Die markers and its a perfect match on the front.

Thanks 1926 Mercury Dime Overview (2).jpg 1926 Mercury Dime Overview.jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (1).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (2).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (3).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (4).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (5).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (6).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (7).jpg 1926 Philly Mercury Dime DDO-001 Full Split Bands high mint state coin (8).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've looked at DDO-001 examples here and here, and I'm afraid I don't see any match at all to your coin. Yours doesn't have the deep trench through the lower curve of R's loop, and the existing examples don't show any doubling along the vertical line of the R. I think what you're seeing is MD.

Any experts want to chime in?

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I was just typing about the same. I see some that appears more like MD, and the die markers should only be used after positively identifying it as a DD. IMO, Jim

5. The die crack is in the exact location to Wexlers page I couldnt capture the picture as good that zoomed in, The R is exactly doubled as well as the BTY in Liberty I will try and capture some better pics.

6. It also appears the the sariff's on the bottom leg of the R and upper left corner are split. Im confused as if you look at the example certified it looks no different as far as the doubling. I don't know how else to see it I guess. What kind of grade do you think I would get off this coin?

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd say AU, possibly XF depending on how much of the reverse high-point stuff is strike weakness rather than wear. I don't see full split bands in the center. Your full-coin photos are clear, but seem kind of over-compressed (not saved at high enough file quality), and that makes it hard to discern texture.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

So you are saying this R from the NGC looks like your R below ( bluish)?
    The possible machine doubling on yours is on the opposite side of this.
    NCG photo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted