This one hurts.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Obone, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I was browsing an auction, and came upon this:
    [​IMG]
    Now I know the coin would be super expensive if it wasn't stuck in a pin, my question is how much value would a piece like this have?
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow looks like you would need the jaws of life to get it out. looks like a great coin too. wait for the pros on value...

green18 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that coin is real? That looks much to well struck for an ancient and much more like a reproduction for the pin

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It looks authentic from the image, but I would like to know more. I do not know the value, but it would not be cheap if authentic. I believe it is a
    Sicily, Syracus AR Dekadrachm and some here have the real deal (I do not).

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Setting looks Victorian?

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

there's got to be a way of getting it out with not to much damage to the coin.

8. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

The guy said that it was in fact set in the Victorian times. Bidding starts at 500 CAD, should I take a stab at it? What I would really like to know is if I do win it, do I try to take the coin out? Or do I just leave it as it it.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ooooh, man, that does hurt. It looks authentic to me, and the dies are of fine style and it is well struck and well centered. If it wasn't damaged from the setting, and if the obverse hadn't suffered abrasion from being worn as jewelry (and probably repeatedly cleaned), I'd estimate it at ~$4-6K or more.

Even in this setting I think it will fetch a fairly big price. Based on the style of setting, there's a reasonable chance that the setting itself hasn't caused much damage. Hopefully the edges weren't ground down.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BCE)
    struck 310-305 BCE
    AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
    Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
    Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
    Ref: Ierardi 12 (O2-R8); SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-adventures-in-bidland-agathokles-tetradrachm.243930/

10. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Is the piece worth even 1K?
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The fact that it is in the setting should bring the price down. Bid with you're head and not you're heart......And if I was lucky enough to win it, I'd let it be.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If authentic, yes!

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  13. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

This auction is jam packed with stuff:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LA_Geezer, chrsmat71 and Bing like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looking at the pictures, I'm worried that the coin might be soldered in. It shouldn't be. It looks like the type of bezel setting that allows coins to be set without soldering-- but the pin lock mechanism covering the upper part of the reverse looks worrisome. Ask the auctioneer whether there is any evidence of soldering. I'm not sure what I'd pay for it if it couldn't be removed from the setting (and without significant damage). Probably not higher than opening, but then I probably wouldn't bid if the coin couldn't be removed largely intact.

Also, we're betting the coin is authentic but that is really not possible to say with certainty based on images alone. If it is a jeweler's copy... not worth opening unless you simply love the thing.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

let us know if you bought it and were able to get it out safely.

green18 likes this.
  16. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the replies. I will be sure to get back to you as soon as the auction is over. Not sure I'm going on this, as there are tons of Canadian Gems in there, and I love Canadian Coins.

17. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

If they filed the edges to make it fit, then I would not buy it for $500. If the hinge for the pin is soldered to the coin then it will be hard to remove without a lot of damage.

Sucks that someone did that to such a well preserved coin.

It was probably a $5 coin in 1900.

:arghh:

18. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I would be surprised if it is real. This one only sold for $227.
    Screenshot_20170820-184055.jpg

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What's that site, David? I went to allcoinage.com and it's a placeholder for what looks like a soon-to-come auction archive, yet it looks like you were able to search its database.

20. Theodosius

Surely there can't be 2 real Agathokles tetradrachms made into ugly, Victorian pins. They must be using cast copies.

:bear:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. Theodosius

If that is a cast tetradrachm, then that pin is worth melt value.

:vomit:

Draft saved Draft deleted