This Netflix original looks like it might be worth a look (coin related)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flyers10, Dec 23, 2016.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

4. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Rassi likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Awe. How cute. They're doing it to save the school. Should be a riot of rotten tomato laughter!

6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Take the millennial asininity out of it, and that'd be a great show...

7. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Have you seen any error coins selling for that kind of money? I suppose they could make a thousand $10,000 coins. Oh wait, wouldn't that make each coin worth less than $10,000? I can't wait to watch this movie so that I can critique it from the standpoint of a numismatist.

Rassi and spirityoda like this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm sure the screenplay was written with the numismatic audience in mind ;)

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Yeah, I'm sure it was too.
    :penguin:

10. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Assuming this could be done, what kind of error would you create to make the best money? Would you create an improbable mule? Would stack 10 blanks together and stamp I all at once and have them fused together?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

11. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Good question - would need to think on that one...

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Crazy ones. Like any dies on some nails or screws or sandpaper, or improbable double denominations like SLQ's struck with 2016 ATB dies or mercs struck with 2016 Jefferson dies, or foreign coins struck with US dies etc...

13. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

What if you only had 30 minutes and only have supplies that are in front of you? No old coins muled with new ones.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Usually a movie with a similar story line will portray the dean or whatever as having been framed or set up while this trailer left it at he embezzled a ton of money. I get he's one kids father but based on that these kids are going to commit another crime in order to help out the guy who was committing a crime? Lol

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Anything lying around. As we all saw with the nail that went for $50k last year, the more unusual the better. Thing is, all of this stuff would need to get authenticated meaning it would have to be a long play game plan submitting and selling one or two things a year. If pcgs got a submission of say 100 or more heck even 10 or or even more than a couple of off the wall items struck with mint dies I bet there would be a call to the mint and an investigation initiated

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You noticed that too huh. At least they didn't just retreat to their safe spaces though lol

Dave Waterstraat and Blissskr like this.
  17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm thinking that if the Chinese watch it..........the market crumbles

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Just the opposite. A true numismatic would instantly recognize the improbability of the premise. It's more likely just another teen-agers-save-the-world fantasy, aimed at the teen audience.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  20. green18

True. But if 'The Rock', Sean Connery, and Jean-Claud Van Damm were starring I believe it could be done. Throw Bobby De Niro in as a supporting actor playing the mint director and a cameo by Edmund Moy......... devil.gif

21. green18

I don't care what you guys think........that's just danged funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted