This might be taboo but I am mesmerized by these colors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Justawesome, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

Maybe a better analogy would be reading the anarchist cookbook when i was young.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Coins can be removed from flips. The coin itself must be marked or destroyed.

4. Justawesome

How do i mark the coins themselves?
    IF i dipped them wouldn't this superficial coating come off?

5. physics-fan3.14

Maybe? Maybe not? Depends on what you did to the coins.

You could dip them and remove the toning, you could make a mark on them, you could scratch them, you could write the same thing on them as you did on the flips.... Somehow, you need to make it clear on the coin itself that this is a damaged coin.

6. Justawesome

For the record, I understand that you guys (and myself) are protecting the hobby. I concur.

7. physics-fan3.14

For the record, I'm not opposed to scientific research. I think that's the best way to figure out what the AT'ers are doing. As a chemist, you are at the forefront of knowledge and are best poised to help the hobby against these scammers.

However, like spiderman, with power comes responsibility. If you make artificially toned coins, for research, you must destroy them. And, it is most beneficial if you help us understand how you created them (or, how to recognize coins made with this method). As an engineer myself, I understand that knowledge is power.

My foremost goal, as you point out, is to protect the hobby. I also want to advance the knowledge as much as possible.

Dillan likes this.
  8. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

It is alright to experiment for your own knowledge . It is probably a good idea to mark them as another member suggested , this way if something was to happen to you , nobody would sell those to someone or whatever. Seems like kind of a waste though . I would imagine there is numerous household chemicals and such that would produce AT on coins. The people that sell that type of crap should be reported for purposely damaging coins to sell. eBay probably has numerous people selling that garbage to unsuspecting newbies , and people that think this is okay to do . Nothing surprises me anymore , from the Chinese fakes to AT to dipped and cleaned junk , it is all ruining this great hobby . It is also scaring away new people , after they find out what they paid good money for, is worthless junk , they just say to heck with this , and then do something different for a hobby . Dillan

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nope. Fanny Farmer wouldn't touch those coins. Now, I have heard, that there are a great number of places in Charleston (SC) that have exemplary cuisine, but they don't cook coins. Heck, when I dine out I like baked, not cooked.....

10. physics-fan3.14

Hoo, boy, that is an understatement. Just you come to the Paris of the South, I'll show you what we have here. BBQ? Shrimp? Grits? Shrimp and Grits? Charleston can cook a mean plate, I'll tell you what!

green18 likes this.
  11. Justawesome

I enjoyed a month in Charleston last summer. I prob gained 10 lbs. Very worth it though. Great Oysters.
    I give you my word, i'll destroy them in the morning. I'm exhausted and my place still stinks like chems.
    I'm going to dip the silver - it was all junk silver, and dip the 1955 proof coins too and they will join my silver stack.. they will be ruined but spotless.. the cents and nickles i'll bake in sulfur and some other stuff; then they will be irreparably blacked and i'll toss them in the the neighborhood dumpster.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If I'm ever in town, I'll be sure to look you up Jason. :)

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Just leave them be. I see nothing wrong with cooking them and seeing the results for your own amusement. You can also chronicle how they proceed in toning afterward as many at coins aren’t stable. Just document with pics. As long as you’re not trying to sell them as natural and deceive anyone. I have zero problem with it. It’s not like they’re valuable coins anyway. Personally I find the at coins attractive. I’m no fan of modern coins anyway so I feel it’s no loss and it makes in my opinion an ugly coin appealing.

Draft saved Draft deleted