This might be taboo but I am mesmerized by these colors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Justawesome, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

I don't have the slightest idea of how someone could get color like these on cents.

I didn't see the seller offering it on any silver. Now, i don't believe for one second that anyone would believe this was NT so - i guess i'm just curious. Is this electrolysis or what.. i cant be a chem additive.

If it's a non-discussion. I retract my inquiry.

If not, i'm so curious. Obviously not for any trickery. I mean come on... I've never seen color like this...
    colors.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Gotta be artificial.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. Qsins

Qsins Member

I'm Iot sure what they did to each coin other than perhaps appear to be a bit lazy because it looks like just a single drop on each coin that never reached the rim.

I definitely think you can find natural toned pennies which such colors but of course nicely spaced across the entire coin.

6. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Personally I view these coins as pretty … pretty but damaged. Any AT in my opinion is damaging the coin . If it happens while it is in the mint packaging , I would accept that as natural toning ? Even the so called natural toning is from poor storage such as pvc toning ,and coins left in the sunshine or in a damp location. They are pretty to look at , but eventually I think the majority will quit buying these AT coins . Especially at some of the high prices being charged for a damaged coin. This is a fad that will sooner or later will disappear . Those who paid high prices for a AT coin may be second guessing their purchases. Just my opinion take from it what you want , and if you disagree that's okay also . Happy Collecting Dillan

7. Justawesome

I happen to agree with you. I know NT vs AT. I had just never seen these (almost) intentional patterns. I assume it involved moving the voltage across the coin where desired.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Put some new shiny cents in your oven the next time you cook something.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would bet a dollar to a donut that a simple plumbers torch focused on the reverse for 5-10 seconds would produce almost exactly what you see here. I would love to see the reverse of these cents. Bet my bottom dollar each one is black on the reverse.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There are several ways those colors could be generated - and all of them are artificial. These are disgusting and ridiculously cartoonish. They look absolutely nothing like naturally toned copper.

There is nothing "pretty" about these abominations.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very pretty but totally our artificial.

12. Justawesome

OK, well.. 35 min later.
    They are still wet.
    Most of them are crap but it was interesting nonetheless.
    20190715_200303.jpg 20190715_200323.jpg 20190715_200331.jpg 20190715_200405.jpg 20190715_200416.jpg

robec likes this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

14. Justawesome

The pics don't show all the colors at the various angles. Some a pretty amazing. Totally FAKE, i understand that. I just wanted to experiment. I still haven't gotten those circles that ebay guy got but... whatever.

For the record, I would never sell these to anyone. Once the nice ones dry I'll put them in flips and put them in a binder. For my own amusement.

And they aren't all black on the bottom. Abt 50% are. I attribute that to the fact that i used multiple metals... 10 silver Roosevelts. 10 BU copper 64 cents. A few Silver proof coins and a 10 BU nickels. Not all are pictured.

Ehhhh. oh well. Men's purpose is to explore.. that's all i was curious abt.

15. physics-fan3.14

You made these? Why?

I hope you plan on destroying them.

You're verging on dangerous territory, here.

16. Justawesome

you can have your opinion. I don't feel it was a waste. I learned something. That's like saying you should never learn to ride a bike - or drive.

17. physics-fan3.14

Mark them somehow on the actual coin. Clearly indicate that they are AT. They might be your amusement now, but if they pass to some unsuspecting customer at some point in the future, it needs to be clear that these have been f****d

18. Justawesome

I was going to keep them for myself but if you guy all want me to delete the thread I will.
    It wasn't as easy as putting in the oven. I have a masters in chemistry.

19. physics-fan3.14

Riding a bike and learning to drive are completely acceptable pursuits of time in common society. That's not a good analogy.

Making a batch of AT'd coins is more analogous to growing a batch of weed. You know, to figure out how the criminals do it.

20. Justawesome

How about every flip I'll write 'Artificially Toned by me : 7/15/19'

21. physics-fan3.14

I don't want you to delete the thread. There's nothing wrong with the thread. There is some good information here. I want you to permanently mark the coins as AT. They have been altered in such a way that any future buyer must know they have been chemically treated to improve their appearance.

Either that, or just melt the coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted