This means WAR! nickels that is.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gbroke, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Did not say I was a "fan of war", I just like history, and just like inflation, it is a piece of our history. I like historical things, one of the reasons I like collecting, I pay little attention to modern wars or whatever. this is not to argue, but to "clear" my name.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

ms66. yeah i wish you could really see the colors on the whole war nickel set. its really nice. i have a whole binder full of toners in 2x2's and there is a few pages of war nickels

4. urbanchemist

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got a ton of the little devils that I pulled out of the change as a kid. Never occurred to me to collect 'em in mint state back then. :)

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

That is another beauty!

7. urbanchemist

thank you :D

8. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice War nickels all. Unfortunately, I don't own any with the rainbow toning some have displayed on this thread. But I collect them.

Here's a nicely struck BU example, followed by a crusty dusty circulated war nickel pulled from a roll in 2010.

Attached Files:

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Love em racebannon. Crusty, circulated, all good stuff. The crusty ones have personality and the circulated ones have history. Wonder what you could get in the 40's for a nickel.

10. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

I like this thread a lot and there are so many spectacular postings of War Nickels here... thank you to all. The terribly frustrating part of it all is that I don't have one and I've looked high and low locally to find one. A year or so? Someday I'll find a suitable one such at these!
    -L

11. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

1945-P DDR (look at the "llo")

1945-p ddr.jpg

12. koen

koen New Member

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Cool coin. There are actually 3 different DDR's for the 1945-P. You have the most prominent. I have two of the three.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

it used to be your coin! i won it in a contest you held 2 years ago. i still love the coin!! :D

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

LOL, I forgot. :eek:

16. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

In 2006 this 1945-P was given back as change at the local Red Lobster. IMAG0233-horz.jpg

17. nickelboy

nickelboy New Member

I agree that worn can be beautiful; seems to indicate real use and more fun to think about how many hands they walked through before retiring to a coin collector's personal "museum". The ones you show are similar to the one's I have; got them from a coin show purchase of an old book set while I was trying to fill out my circulated Jefferson collection.

18. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

How did I manage to miss this???
    Going to the PNNA Show Saturday, hoping to get a few nice ones.
    Gosh, I love the coinnection, got a few pics I accidentally lost on my computer. But I had them on www.thecoinnection.com :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sold the two 42-S Nickels, but liked the first one due to some obverse toning. Sold the second one to somebody who will cherish it better than I since I upgraded it.

19. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Please.
    The "ugly" one made me gasp. It was georgeous!

20. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I don't have any "s" mints. All the pics above are great. Thanks.

21. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

This thread is giving me an appreciation for the wartime nickels! I have about 2 full tubes of them right now that I will need to go through w/ a loupe to hopefully find a DDO. One thing I HAVE noticed with the Wartime nickels is that for normal circulated ones, they get WAY more dingy than the copper / nickel variety. If you put one in a roll of others (non wartime silver) you could easily pick it out, almost the same way that other silver coinage (halves, etc...) are brighter than the non silver counterpart.

Not really an inspiring observation but it is interesting to see these Unc coins with no grime :)

Draft saved Draft deleted