this looks like copper.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Miketexas, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

This looks like copper stuck to the rim below the D mint mark. What do you think. I can try for a closer pic if needed.
    uploadfromtaptalk1425340987084.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425340997884.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425341007962.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425341017653.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It couldn't have come from the mint like that. Soldered?

4. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

That's what I'm thinking.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Possibly super glued on? Would a shattered collar have allowed a fragment to attach itself this way? Just talking up some wind as I have no clue.

6. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

I tried to pluck it it seems soild and copper. It's odd

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Try a steel dental pick under one edge if you have one. If it comes off easily then it was probably attached in some way after the it was made, if not, then I'll let the others chime in. it could never have been in a roll so I'm guessing it came in a mint sealed bag if it's real.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

If it came from a shattered collar, there'd be many more of them out there.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

So, if it is possible and there were many more from the same run, it would also be likely these were spit out in the rolling process once the bags were finally rolled up? I would have to assume that not too many got out if this happened as it would have been detected quickly and repaired.

rickmp likes this.
  10. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Just guessing here, but if there was a gap in the collar that made that sprue, wouldn't it be hard to eject from the press? It appears that it sits above the rim of the coin, which the die should have flattened down if struck this way? I see some beveling on the rim around the sprue, which suggest hand work.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There's something else going on also, take a look at the receding hair line and on the back of the head it looks like a part is missing. Dunno, just a weird coin overall..

Draft saved Draft deleted