This looks like a 1989 d over s?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by biged239, Jan 8, 2014.

1. biged239

biged239 Member

Hello and happy new year.
    I found this looking through my cents and it looks like a D over an S. There are no registered errors I can find that support this. And how could it happen?
    Thanks Big Ed

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

There could be many things wrong with this coin that could be post mint damage, however, I, too, think I see an 'S' under there.

4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

looks more like a copper plating issue

5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Wouldn't that be impossible. Didn't mint marks stop being hand punched into dies in the early 80's?

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes

7. biged239

biged239 Member

Thanks to everyone that posted. I just started going through some coins looking for errors and have came across some interesting finds. I will post more soon. I am just learning about how to find the registered errors. Most errors can be located, but there is always going to be that one like this one that is weird.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

1989 was last year they punched mintmarks, coin in OP looks to be plating issue...

9. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

I also thought 1989 was the last year mintmarks were hand punched. Your 89D photo looks like it could be a D/D and some plating issues to me. It might help to see additional photos from different angles.

Larry Nienaber

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

They still hand-punched mintmarks into the working dies in 1989. However, they stopped making SF business strikes after 1974, so the chance of an OMM is even slimmer than before.

The coin posted IMO shows plating issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted