This looks cleaned or something tells me this is too good to be true

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Asher, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Asher

Asher Active Member

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks harshly cleaned at best. Fake at worst.

Chris Winkler, capthank and wxcoin like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea . I would wait for a nice Graded piece on this coin .;)

Chris Winkler likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I think the coin would grade XF details, IMO. I'm bothered by the horizontal lines on the obv. shield and I think it has been cleaned. Personally, I would not bid or buy.

capthank and fretboard like this.
  6. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I observe on the auction you can click on (below payments) getting an NGC opinion on authenticity for $5 and / or an opinion on authenticity and grade for $10. I might spend the $5 or $10 if you're really interested, it's a major coin and gold seller, with over 1000 feedback in the last 12 months, 1 neutral, 1 negative neither of which related to problem coins. I'd get an NGC opinion and go for it if you can get it at a good price. I'd also contact the seller directly to ask if the coin has been cleaned.

JeffC likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Somethings not right about that surface, what ever is wrong with the fields ruins the whole coin for me. I'd stay away from it!

manny9655 likes this.
  8. Asher

Asher Active Member

Wow I never knew that. I will certainly try it out, but not on this coin.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Altered surfaces. Not worth the money.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, harshly cleaned and possibly whizzed. Unnatural surfaces.

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

i think He's right on the money for VF 30, but I think the coin should be like XF as far as the devices remaining, so I'd think you care correct, it will come back details cleaned. Also likely why he said "see coin pictures for condition". in the listing.
    Up to you if you think you can accept it like that. the bigger question really is, does this look like a coin that will FIT your type set and look good in there when it's finished? That should really be the determining factor on a type set.

personally I'd rather have a straight graded VF30 than a details XF40 but it would still depends heavily on the eye appeal when it comes to a type set for me.

MIGuy likes this.
  12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I agree with the other comments about the coin being cleaned.

MIGuy likes this.
  13. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Regarding purchasing RAW coins on ANY SITE. There was (may still be) a site that offered a sale on coins that were the remanants of a closed coin shop in Springfield Mo., that to my knowledge the only coins left are RAW and the only way he offers them is “as is” with NO guarantee. The auctioneer may know something and that is why he offers them “as is” the word around all the dealers in this area is that the shop was infected with fakes. If you do not know the dealer and something about your coin, or the dealer does not offer “money back guarantee” I do not think it is or would be a wise investment. JMO
    Semper Fi

wxcoin and Robert Ransom like this.
  14. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. :)

15. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Looks like it cme out of a sand casting mold. STAY AWAY

16. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

I thought whizzed as well. And that's worse than cleaned. Cleaned, in my humble opinion, is where someone violates something that took decades or centuries to occur. (Like a builder going in to an old growth forest, knocking them all down to put up a minimall, and planting Bradford pear trees.) A cleaned coin's original skin and history are erased, but over time the patina can be restored.

Whizzed, on the other hand, is a deliberate attempt to deceive by altering the surfaces to give them a luster that appears mint state - but has in fact ruined the coin. This is like cutting down the trees, then sprinkling dioxin on the dirt.

You might gather that I value "originality" over "sparkliness." :) Not everyone will agree - and that's fine, because I'll have less competition for those crunchy patina'ed old classics!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  17. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Great point - personally I'm okay with details coins in terms of my budget, but of course a pure unaltered surface is better.

18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Absolutely cleaned. Various anomalies that cry out to me, leave it alone! The decision is yours though, best of luck.

19. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Hi, i don't see that, can you be a little more specific?

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Right below the PayPal Credit and Earn Points it says:
    [​IMG] Get an expert opinion of authenticity

MIGuy likes this.
  21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Agree with most...cleaned...but if just for your type set and not graded (or if wanting a straight grade, not "details"), it might be ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted